User Tag List

Thread: Hex Wargame Example?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Hex Wargame Example?

Are there any like hex based war-game examples out there? Something like Civilization 5?

I've been looking for one, but I can't find any... If anyone out there has one or knows where one is, please comment!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Writing a hex based strategy game, both real-time and turn-based, is no easy task and especially not for a single person. When faced with a large or complex problem such as this, the trick is to break it down into smaller manageable sub-problems. Because, unless we can keep our programs firmly within our intellectual grip, we are only doomed.

The first thing you need to be concerned with is your map. For instance: how will you store the data for each tile? how will you display this data on screen? etc. This article contains very useful information covering both iso and hex representation.

It also explains a clever trick, named mouse mapping, for working out which tile the mouse is hovering over.

The next concept you need to understand is pathfinding. A* is the most suited algorithm. Here is a great article to start you off: A* Pathfinding for Beginners. Alternatively, there are pathfinding extensions, but where is the fun in that? NOWHERE!

I must be getting back to work now, but that will be enough to get you started.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for a .mfa pathfinder or something, but I'll give you idea a go, Chris.