User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Scaling for iPhone 5 and iPad - HOW TO DO IT RIGHT

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch MakerUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    makes sense. Perhaps it would be better work on 1222x768 since the trend is resolution get bigger with time. Not that it would make much difference,..

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AyreGuitar View Post
    DistantJ - I'm trying what you said for Method 2 (a 960x640 screen with a 1146x768 frame) and displaying the Y Bottom Frame on screen and it shows 720 on an iPad.
    I think this is because 960*(768/1024)=720, ie the frame on iPad is 960x720, so I'm thinking that my frame only needs to be 1146x720?
    In my case...using 960x640 app with 1136x640 frames...I think I just need to change the frame height to 852 then it will fit perfect on iPad.....I dont want to change my frame width because it will make me change a lot of conditions in my game.

So I go to photoshop with a 1024x768 document and increased the width to 1136 with the aspect size locked and the photoshop give me the height 852....

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scaling for iPhone 5 and iPad - HOW TO DO IT RIGHT

You can always just keep it at 640 height and use Method 1, that's what I did with AWESOME Land :-)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...but it will crop some objects of my game when run on iPad..my game it's not a scroll game so I use all of screen width

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I've cheated with the iPhone 5 formatting for MANOS. Anybody curious about the "Stretch to fill" option should read this.

I was foolish enough to have built the whole game around the iPhone 4's screen size and been willing to accept the horizontal black bars on the iPad, so floors are exactly 160 pixels tall (half of iPhone 3GS resolution) and boss rooms and other non-scrolling areas are exactly 240 pixels wide (again, half of iPhone 3GS) meaning it used the exact resolution of the Game Boy Advance and was able to have areas with fixed or no scrolling, the whole game is impossible to reformat for multiple aspect ratios without drastically altering the level design. Of course at the time I had every reason to believe that Apple would continue to support the same two aspect ratios due to the way they had acted with their screens up until now, even to the point of making the iPad 3 a ridiculous resolution just so that it'd be exactly twice that of the previous model.

So I could just leave it with the black bars, right? Well, the problem with that is, I just got my iPhone 5 and I've found that when running with the black bars, the virtual buttons are awkward. If you use MMF's built in touch joystick I believe it sits happily outside of the window, in the black bars, eliminating this problem, but I always create my own and the difficulty is that you get these two areas at the sides which don't respond to your touch, but your intuition tells you they should, and it makes the game awkward to play unless it's something quite simple (even with the simple one-touch games like CrazyCrab I find myself tapping in the black bars a lot).

I tried a few things, I attempted to use Method 2 from the opening post to create a horizontal 'scoreboard' border on the iPad to cover up the extra pixels that you're not supposed to see of the adjacent 'floors', which worked OK but it left the problem of the iPhone 5 showing extra which really threw off all of the boss rooms and the final level, the first half of which is vertical scrolling only. I could have gone in and overhauled some of the level designs to match the multiple aspect ratios (in AWESOME Land I basically had to redesign the boss rooms so that they'd look good on whatever aspect ratio and add some limitations to make sure the iPhone 5 user doesn't just 'hide' in the extra space they get) but the time it would have taken for this very resolution-independent game wouldn't have paid for itself really.

So I've wimped out and used the "Stretch to fill" option for MANOS. I've allowed it because NES games tended to stretch to fill our TVs anyway, back in the day. They were rendered as a perfect square and then stretched to 4:3, so I guess it's OK for my faux-NES game to do it. The thing I have done though is moved the camera and a few hot spots by a single pixel to mask the uneven pixel widths you get by doing this. For example, I've done everything I can to keep my character's eyes and mouth out of the thinner vertical lines which you get due to the stretching, to the point that it's become barely noticeable, seems to keep it professional. You've probably noticed pixels appear to be uneven sizes when you scale like this and the best thing you can do to hide it is just try to avoid letting the stuff the user is focusing on constantly (i.e. your character) from crossing the thinner pixels. For my character it was simple, I just had to shift the camera forward one pixel so that his eyes (the vertical lines) don't end up being drawn thinner, and then I had to move the hot spot one pixel across in his firing animation (the only animation where his head shifts back a pixel).

Now, if your app isn't a low-res pixel art style game, this option shouldn't present you with any problems other than the fact that everything becomes short and fat on iPhone 5 and tall and thin on iPad. It's not an option which should really be used unless your game, like mine, can't be made to work on multiple aspect ratios. Thankfully, if that is the case with your game, building at iPhone 4 resolution means that the stretching isn't a ridiculous amount for either the iPhone 5 or iPad, so it shouldn't look horrifically out of proportion unless your game uses specific shapes or realistic characters.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting post, I understand that you couldn't do anything else than choosing "Stretch to fill". In a game like MANOS (fixed + scrolling screens) it must be possible to please every aspect ratios, but the level design must be wisely thought right from the early development stages.
    I was thinking of using "Stretch to fill" for CrazyCrab, since the game doesn't use pixel art the stretch would had been less noticeable. But I personaly can't stand stretched pictures :p

Now imagine a developer wishing to develop a game like the 1st zelda on the NES, how would he overcome the multiple ratios problem?

Quote Originally Posted by DistantJ View Post
    even with the simple one-touch games like CrazyCrab I find myself tapping in the black bars a lot.
    Do you mean that the black bars don't respond to touches?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, CrazyCrab for example, a game where touching anywhere on the scree works, doesn't work if you touch in the black bars. Did you use the "user clicks" or the multiple touch object? You might find it works if you detect a touch in no particular place with the multiple touch object.

I actually have a Zelda-alike planned for the future, with the static (screen by screen) grid scrolling, my plan is to do 4:3 screens and use custom borders to cover up the screens either side on wider devices. As much as I hate borders it's the only way really. If you do the borders manually though at least you get to place virtual buttons, HUD etc. in the border though. I figure you can make it look like a border designed for the HUD and then move the HUD onto the screen for the iPad.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes I'm using mouse conditions indeed. Thank you very much for the tip about using the multitouch object, I'll make tests and will probably include it in the next update.

About the Zelda game, it's probably another good example where custom borders is an acceptable solution. If it's well done, by placing the HUD for example, it would certainly not disappoint the players. I wouldn' be .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you change to the multitouch object you can send me your XCode project to test if touch within the border works if you like.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind offer Sam. I was thinking about making a simple square test app just to make sure that the taps are correctly registered outside of the game window.

EDIT: Hmmm, after a quick test it seems that both clicks and touches are registered over the black bars. Could you please make some further testing Sam? I have the pause button hidden outside of the frame somewhere to the top-left (which prevents jumping). Maybe if you'd try to tap elsewhere over the black bars you'd be able to make the crab jump.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast