User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating an Array Editor

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating an Array Editor

Hi all,

I'm trying to create an Array editor in MMF2 Standard that has the following features:

Grid Layout
    Sorting on any column
    Searching
    Exporting to Excel

I have managed to create a very basic one that lists every entry in a list object but quite frankly, it sucks!

Each record contains 6 elements and the current record total is around 200 records.

Is something like this even possible with Standard MMF2?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be an awful lot easier if you had developer - the datagrid extension would make most of this a piece of cake.
    As far as exporting to Excel goes, forget Excel's own native format - it's a real mess of a format (since 2007, it's actually a zip file containing a whole bunch of different files). I would, and did, go with the .xml spreadsheet format instead.

It's definitely still possible without the datagrid extension, but trust me - it's a LOT of work. With MMF3 around the corner, I honestly don't think it's worth the effort, or I would have done it myself by now.

I've made a couple of different editors myself:
    http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=7273
    http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8360

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing is that I don't see the point in trying to reinvent the wheel - you're never going to create a visual editor anywhere near as good as Excel / OpenOffice / etc (which is why I stopped working on the visual editor and made a straightforward converter instead). Also, I actually don't think you need to open array files very often anyway. It's more likely that you'd want to create them from scratch in Excel and then save to an array. Using Excel means you can add column/row/sheet labels, comments, highlighting, etc that make it much it much clearer, but which are omitted from the saved array.
    Another alternative is to create a tool that converts an MMF2 array file to a temporary xml spreadsheet file, and then automatically opens that up in Excel. It would then keep running in the background, checking if the file has been modified (in which case it would replace the array file with a new one converted from the new xml spreadsheet), or if the Excel process has ended (in which case it would delete the temporary files and close).
    That way you could use Excel and MMF2 together seamlessly.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not about reinventing the wheel so much as providing an editor for a database for an application i have written. Mistakes are often made, we are after all only human, and i need a way to rectify those mistakes that a lay person can handle. The people using the application aren't very IT literate and the list method i have used is far too confusing for them and not very clear.

I am not too keen on converting backwards and forwards between excel and mmf arrays. The whole point of the conversion was far record keeping and statistical analysis. That way a print out can be made from the editor and referenced offline.

I'll just have to figure out a way to do it using Edit Boxes. No worries.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many dimensions? What kind of data (values or strings)? What index (0 or 1)?

After re-reading your first post, it looks like you're just using a 2D array (x:0-200; y:0-5).
    If that's right, it will make things much, much easier - it probably wouldn't take long to make you something.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2D Array, 0 based, Text.

I have managed to create a pseudo grid display so far using 2 loops and an edit box.

Here is what i have so far:

Start of frame:
    Load Array
    Start Loop "List" Y Dimension Array

On Loop "List":
    Start Loop "Record" 6 Times

On Loop "Record":
    Create Edit Box at -100,-100
    Set XPosition "Edit Box" to 10+(Loopindex("Records")*(Width of Edit Box)-1)
    Set YPosition "Edit Box" to 10+(Loopindex("List")*(Height of Edit Box)-1)
    Set Alt Val A. "Edit Box" to LoopIndex("List")
    Set Text of Edit Box to StrAtXY("Array",LoopIndex("Record"),LoopIndex("Lis t"))

Now all i need to work out is how to scroll this grid and how to sort the columns.

I have set the Alt Val A to the record value so that when i sort the values i can make sure that they are all together, i can also reconstruct the array in the order it was initially displayed. The export to excel part should be fairly easy for me following this.

Thanks for your comments so far.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a start, but unfortunately I already went with a numerical array by the time you replied (not hard to change - just a bit tedious).
    http://sdrv.ms/URUfSV

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, looks wicked but for some reason when I try to scroll the workspace in the frame editor MMF crashes out. Not sure why. Sorry about the late replies, can't get access to these forums from work normally so have to do so jiggery pokery to get on.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quite strange...
    See if this version works any better: http://sdrv.ms/TObxNI
    I just replaced the scrollbar object (it's not an extension I use a lot, so I don't completely trust it) and changed the display mode. Anyway, you can still see how it works.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, just Wow! That is far better than anything i could have coded. Honestly MuddyMole/Sketchy that is awesome. Thanks very much.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast