User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Stretch to fit" on XBox

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Stretch to fit" on XBox

So I hate to be the "I'm gonna ask a bunch of questions people have already asked before I purchase but I couldn't find it in the search" guy, but I wanted to clear something up before I go ahead and get this exporter and start porting MANOS and AWESOME Land...

Am I able to select a "Stretch to fit" option like the other exporters where:

A. A game built at, say, 320x200 will upscale to fill the screen, and more importantly...
    B. The game will 'stretch' if viewed on a different aspect ratio.

Basically MANOS is built at 240x160 (Game Boy Advance resolution, 3:2 aspect ratio) and uses 'rooms' where scrolling gets 'locked', meaning I can't really have the window expand outwards to widescreen or brought inwards for 4:3. On iPhone I got around this by using the 'Stretch' option, meaning the image is stretched to fill the wider screen of the iPhone 5 or the taller screen of the iPad. It causes some distortion but due to the retro style it doesn't matter much and due to being scaled from somewhere between the two resolutions it's not overly noticeable. What I'd on the XBox is to fulfil the "safe zone" requirement by having the screen similarly stretch outwards on a widescreen and stretch upwards on a 4:3.

So can it do this?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't done any xbox stuff in a while but from what I remember I think it automatically stretches to fit.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The display is automatically resized by the XBOX as best as possible. Some of the borders may disappear (this is why you should respect a "security zone") in your display.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You will have to determine pre-build whether you want to us 4:3 or 16:9 as it's part of the submission process, same goes for porting the app over as you'll need to honour the 90% placement for the HUD and surrounding frame objects to keep within the actual physical screen size.

Any resolution as Cole and Francois pointed out, will automatically stretch to fit but you will get the border issue. Best thing to do in this scenario is just insta-switch it to XNA Application and just do a test build off the bat and you'll see for yourself on the xBox then exactly how it looks to begin with and go from there...
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Stretch to fit" on XBox

The problem there is the lack of 4:3 TV to test it on =/

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2iOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stuck to widescreen and will just let 4:3 letterbox as appropriate - I figure at least 99% of people must use 16:9 by now, and if they don't, they can still enjoy the game - just a bit smaller.

I spent ages testing loads of different resolutions, both 4:3 & 16:9 on an old CRT and 19" & 42" HD screens - seeing as there's no way to adjust the screen at runtime, it's a case of pick one and stick with it. I did notice that the xbox does actually scale up very nicely - I also just did a little test on the xbox and 320x200 does stretch a little on a 16:9 screen, 320x180 obviously maintains the correct ratio, but 320x200 looks fine. My 19" screen is eating a lot of the edges though, so the issue is how much safe area to leave on such a small resolution.

Regarding your actual question, there is no way of detecting how much safe-zone a screen is eating, and you can't stretch to just the screens visible area. Different screens eat up a different amount of play area, and also depending on the cable used. If I recall correctly from my test, I noticed that with a VGA cable, less border was eaten up - whereas with a HDMI cable the same settings were eating more of the screen. There really was a lot of fluctuation in the results.

I imagine that's the reason so many games have a screen adjustment option - so you can resize and move to where it fits best. It's a shame we don't have an option to do that in MMF, as that would save us from pre-guessing the worst case scenario for how much border to leave in games to ensure it passes - because if you get that wrong, you have to readjust everything inwards!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Stretch to fit" on XBox

Ah I gotcha. Can I set it to disregard the aspect ratio and have it stretch/distort to fit like it does in Windows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will do that automatically chap - if you make it in 16:9, then in a 4:3 window it will just letterbox it for you (i.e. black boxes at top and bottom) so that the wider screen all fits into the space.

However, if you make an app in 4:3 and run it on a 16:9 screen, it will just stretch it out for you - I found the stretch to be a little too much for my projects, hence why I now do everything in a 16:9 ratio.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Stretch to fit" on XBox

Ah I see, so it stretches for a wider display but letter boxes for a taller one? Pretty cool! MANOS is 3:2, so halfway between the two resolutions, I wonder what that will do... Based on your explanation I'm guessing small letter boxes for 4:3 but stretches for 16:9...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely stretches fully for 16:9 - I tested that for you, but my 4:3 CRT is back in the loft. I thought I was being thorough by testing things on that, but it really did seem a bit overkill once I realised the basic way it treated things.

I'm not sure whether it would letterbox or stretch at that resolution to be honest - but if you need it testing I could get the CRT out and test to find out exactly which way it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast