For a tiny game I wanted to slide in a menu using a sub-app in the actual game frame.
Here is what I learned:
- How you display your sub-app makes no difference. V-Sync on/off, display as sprite etc. everything is smooth.
- iPad 1st gen running 5.1.1 does not like sub-app's it kills the framerate. Old iPhone4 with latest OS runs fine.
- Display as sprite makes no difference for your fps, but it respects the layer it is on
- Hide/show makes no difference for your fps
- Ini's does not work, it works in fusion runtime though
- V-Sync needs to be off, or your fps will suffer alot
- Using pause/resume will create artifacts when the sub-app is moved across the screen
- Display as sprite does not respect layers and your sub-app will be displayed behind everything. But it is fast even with V-Sync on
- Pausing/Resume option is incredibly slow and not usuable
"Tested using lastest beta 8, and Direct3D 9, 60fps"