User Tag List

Thread: best way to create "walls" for incremental X/Y positioning actives?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best way to create "walls" for incremental X/Y positioning actives?

I'm doing a simple tilt (left-right) scroller game (something like Jetpack Joyride but vertical, like Off The Leash or Nimble Bit's Scoops) and I need "walls" on both sides of the screen.

Thing is, I'm using the Accelerometer object and adding/subtracting X pixels to reposition the player active object and the frame is set to auto-resize accordingly to the user's device (it has a 768x1136 frame, game is running with a 640x960 window size, that expands to the iphone 5 or ipad screens).
    So I need the "walls" to stop the player from tilting out of the visible frame.

What would be the best way to do it right?
    I tried a couple:
    - (negate) object is # pixels from left/right frame -> the player will tilt to left/right, otherwise it shouldn't, right?
    - used a hidden object on both sides that automatically position to the visible edge of the device - on overlapping the walls -> the tilting would stop

But neither way was foolproof, the last being the most annoying - sometimes if forcing the tilting, the player object would simply jump across the wall, and whenever it "stopped", it would kinda stick to the wall (moving to the other side had a certain delay, like something that was glued and got pulled off).

I remember back in the days that a simply bouncing object would bounce off a wall and that was it, but now using expressions with acceleration values I'm outta clue of how to do it properly...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way is to use:

(Player) Y co-ordinate is less than or equal to 40: Set (player Y co-ordinate) to 40
    (Player) Y co-ordinate is greater than or equal to 600: Set (player Y co-ordinate) to 600

Make sure it's AFTER the events you use to set the Y co-ordinate, so that it gets fixed before the next loop, but BEFORE any collision events.

If you want to use obstacle collisions and things and you're moving more than 1 pixel at a time, I'd suggest learning how to use fastloops

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool DJ, thanks for that, gonna look into fast loops then... (been away from clicking for almost 10 years, got back last years)