User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New XBox will not have XNA support

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see this as good news actually.
    XBLIG seemed like a platform for MS to make money from indies, few indies on there appear to make anything in return (except minecraft clones apparently).
    In my opinion, XBLIG gave indie development a bad rep.
    Im hoping OUYA will be the one to push indie development on consoles forward.

I was thinking of getting the XNA exporter, but decided to wait for android first. Glad I did...
    Won't XNA still be useful for Windows phone and app store though?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdsoft View Post
    Yes, you can still release XNA apps for Windows Phone 7 and 8. Though Microsoft has deprioritized XNA clearly on WP platform as well in terms of importance, e.g. you can't anymore target WP8 with XNA. Judging by how things look today, XNA support for WP will likely be removed altogether in the mid-term.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdsoft View Post
    I see this as good news actually.
    XBLIG seemed like a platform for MS to make money from indies, few indies on there appear to make anything in return (except minecraft clones apparently).
    In my opinion, XBLIG gave indie development a bad rep.
    Im hoping OUYA will be the one to push indie development on consoles forward.

I was thinking of getting the XNA exporter, but decided to wait for android first. Glad I did...
    XBLIG gave indie dev a bad rep? Indie games are 99% crap all by themselves.. its not XBLIG fault. The problem is that there is a lot of really poor games on XBLIG as DistantJ said, and poor games do not get coverage. No coverage, no sales.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few problems with XBLIG, but I do think it is mostly Microsoft at fault.

The first is that they've put the minimal amount of effort and money into making and maintaining the marketplace. There is no official quality control or review process, it's completely handled by the marketplace (ie other developers). Even a small amount of quality control would go a long way, but Microsoft clearly don't want to put any money into the service, despite charging $99/year for it and taking 30% of the profits on top of that. Their support basically doesn't exist any more, and their payment process is terrible and outsourced to a different company.

Secondly, there *are* good games on there, it's just that they get lost in the masses of bad ones. This is because Microsoft don't put any money into promoting the worthy games, so from most people's perspective they don't see any of the decent games as there are so many bad ones. iTunes or Google Play would be exactly the same if they only showed new releases and didn't bother to feature decent games.

It could be a decent marketplace, and if they bother to learn from their lessons they could make the next xbox a great platform for indie games to compete with the Ouya. I don't see it happening though.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New XBox will not have XNA support

Exactly. One of my favourite XBL games is from the indie section (Aban Hawkins and the 1000 Spikes), but it's almost embarrassing for it to be amongst all of the hentai date sims and amateur messes.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So where's the link to the actual article stating this? Since little to nothing concrete is known about the next Xbox at this point, I want to see a credible source. I doubt Microsoft would be eliminating a way for indie's to make games for Xbox, but I can see them retooling how it works.

Did a search, this is what was stated: "The XNA/DirectX expertise was created to recognize community leaders who focused on XNA Game Studio and/or DirectX development. Presently the XNA Game Studio is not in active development and DirectX is no longer evolving as a technology. Given the status within each technology, further value and engagement cannot be offered to the MVP community. As a result, effective April 1, 2014 XNA/DirectX will be fully retired from the MVP Award Program."

So what exactly does "fully retired from the MVP Award Program" even mean? DirectX is not going away, and that's listed right along with XNA. I don't see anything saying they won't have an indie marketplace on the next Xbox. The only thing this is really referring to is the MVP program itself.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://indiegames.com/2013/02/its_official_xna_is_dead.html

That's where I heard of it don't know how reliable it is but that's where I heard it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dustbunny View Post
    So where does that leave us, we lost the future for the next box? At least we have the vita and maybe ouya :/.
    The Vita exporter is on hold at the moment.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The decision to stop officially supporting XNA in 2014 is confirmed, and the next Xbox not having an XBLIG equivalent is speculation mainly based off the neglect for the current XBLIG service. We'll just have to wait and see what they unveil later in the year. They'd be stupid to ignore indie games entirely, but they need to improve on what they have currently if they want to make it a successful platform.

I'm sure XBLA (or a new equivalent) won't be gone, so maybe they'll open that up a bit but retain a lot of quality control so it's kind of a middle ground. Who knows.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree there needs to be some serious quality control. For every good indie game on there, there's like 100 more (at the least) that are pure garbage. And there's not really any good way to sort the garbage out, you just have to dig through it. I'm sure there will be plenty of crying, "omg my game didn't make it, wtf that's not fair!!", but so be it. I'd rather have a strict controlled platform that lets the good games through then have a veritable see of garbage with some diamonds here and there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast