User Tag List

Thread: Any success?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any success?

So XNA is one I'm still not sure of, because both sides of it have their pros and cons...

The Xbox 360 has the novelty of having your game playable on a mainstream TV console, but the game gets lumped in with many terrible indie games, in their quiet little segregated corner where no gamers want to look.

Windows phone has the advantage of being a bit of an empty platform, meaning much less in the way of competition thus easy visibility, but the number of users is so low that that may not even be worthwhile!

So I'd like to ask, has anybody here had any success with either Windows Phone or Xbox Live Indie Games? How are your XNA stories?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My game for Windows Phone: Jazz Jackrabbit, is a real success. It has been downloaded more than 120 000 times.

The XNA module needs some improvement, but works fine.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jazz Jackrabbit was a remake of an already known game though, wasn't it, and free as well?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're spot on really.

Sales of my game MegaCity on XBLIG were fairly good, I had 670 sales in the first month. It tends to tail off a lot as your game gets older, but it's generated enough for the release to be worthwhile and it's really cool to have games published on a console.

I've mentioned this before, but Microsoft's payment system for XBLIG is woefully unsupported. I gave up trying to get a US tax code, as the letter you must send the IRS that Microsoft supply was rejected. I finally gave in and agreed to have 30% withheld, but I'm still waiting for my first payment as they only pay quarterly.

I released the same game on Windows Phone quite recently, but I'm waiting for an update to fix a bug that was discovered where the game freezes in the background before I promote it. But there is potential there for sure I think, and the Windows Phone marketplace seems much better than XBLIG in terms of support/payment system.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2iOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Cole, I don't want to come across as crass, but I'm just wondering - how much does 670 sales of a game generate in terms of income? Are we talking tens of pounds, or hundreds possibly?

I'm a big fan of MegaCity - a great little game, with fantastic art as well.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I wish I could give you an accurate answer, but I still haven't had my first payment yet due to the aforementioned payment process. Microsoft take 30% upfront, and I've now agreed the IRS take another 30% (but only of the american sales). I don't know what the MSpoints/currency ratios are, and I think there's also a processing fee. So no idea what I'll be left with yet!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2iOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that might be the case - I guess it's one of those things you have to do for love not money at the end of the day!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any success?

That'd sound great if time and money weren't pretty much one and the same! I'd still put all these games out for free if there were an extra three hours in a day, heh!