User Tag List

Thread: Going from paid to free & keeping previous purchasers happy?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going from paid to free & keeping previous purchasers happy?

I'm thinking of making one of my paid apps into a free app.
    Though, the issue of angering people who paid for the app previously has come to my mind, since I want to put ads in the game, and have an IAP to remove them.

The only solution I can think of at the moment is to have the new version of the app save high scores to a different slot in the .ini, and check the .ini for old saved scores to unlock the IAP features.

Does this sound like a good solution, or does anyone have a better idea?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about releasing an update prior to the price change?

like, something that gives the paid costumers a big boost, and then release an new update - without the extras - as a free version.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would simply release a free version such as going from XYZ Space to ZYZ Space Free. Some people will pay for the app just to get beyond the iAd.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I took Pocket Ninjas from Paid to Free permanently I was surprised that I really didn't get any complaints. People either didn't notice, or for the cost of $0.99 it wasn't worth their time to complain.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I would do is use your current save data to check if the user has the game installed already, and then if they do then disable ads. So only the new installs after the game has gone free display ads. I think that's quite fair way to do it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colej_uk View Post
    What I would do is use your current save data to check if the user has the game installed already, and then if they do then disable ads. So only the new installs after the game has gone free display ads. I think that's quite fair way to do it.
    Thats a really good plan!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only problem there is if you uninstall the game and want to play it again down the road you have to have ad's again

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always add a new achievement for Game Center having purchased the full version, then you could compare whether the user has completed the achievement, and if they have, disable ads. That way, if people uninstall the app, they can remove ads again for free.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea linking it with GameCenter too, I didn't think of that.

It's true that you'd get a small percentage that hadn't logged into gamecenter or whatever, so you could use a save data check in addition to it. I think that's about as good a system as you'll get without coding your own server check which would be way more trouble than it's worth.