User Tag List

Thread: Putting Strings in Text paragraphs

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting Strings in Text paragraphs

Is it possible for set paragraphs in text objects to have Alterable Strings in them? As in...

"Not long afterwards, [Alterable String A] came into the room and made the [Alterable String B] leave."

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid that feature is not available.

You could use any one of a number of extensions, including String Parser or RegEx (if you know how to use regular expressions) to manually look through a stored paragraph for magic strings (such as [Alterable Value A]) and replace them with the desired content. String Parser has string replace functions which could make this fairly straight forward. This approach would require you to manually replace each magic string however, there is no automatic way to do this - so you have to know in advance what you are going to replace if you follow what I mean. There is one possible exception to this in that you can get the value of an alterable string using a calculation, so "Alt Str A" = 0, "Alt Str B" = 1 and so on. In this way you could make the process more flexible and not require everything to be quite so predefined when you design it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can set your paragraphs at the start of the frame. Like in the event editor set paragraph A to "Not long afterwards, "+[Alterable String A]+" came into the room and made the "+[Alterable String B]+" leave." and paragraph B,C,D etc.That way you can use the expression calculator. But you can't do it in the frame editor. At least not with the string object alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think understand what you mean, but you see the reason I'm having this problem in the first place is because of how short Strings have to be. I wish I could make them longer.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraHammer View Post
    I think understand what you mean, but you see the reason I'm having this problem in the first place is because of how short Strings have to be. I wish I could make them longer.
    If you are talking about getting the "Expression too complex" message with long strings in the Expression Editor, then you can work around this by splitting the string and joining it up through concatenation ("hello"+" world!" gives you "hello world").
    .:::.Joshtek.:::.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems to extend the possible length, but it still appears to have a limit. I was able to make a string as much as 800 characters long or so.