User Tag List

Thread: main menu button swap?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

main menu button swap?

My game starts with a "Start" button on the main menu. Once the player is playing, if they click on an icon, they'll navigate back to the main menu, but I don't want the button to be the Start button anymore, since they are already in play. I want it to be a "Play" button. Basically, the Play button changes places with the Start button, same position on screen, etc.
    It sounds so simple but I can't get it to work...If the game resets the player will see the Start button again, but only then...rest of the time it should be the Play button. Any ideas on how to set this up? I keep trying to create this in the Event Editor, should it be an animation in the button, though?...argh!!

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Once the player clicks the start button set a global value.
    Then when you return to that frame you can check the global value and see if its set to the value.

Then you can tell if its the first time the player has been to this frame or a return visit in the same game session and display the correct button.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

halfway there, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Once the player clicks the start button set a global value.
    Then when you return to that frame you can check the global value and see if its set to the value.

Then you can tell if its the first time the player has been to this frame or a return visit in the same game session and display the correct button.
    ----------------

Would you be kind enough to post some code? I've been on this since last night, and it keeps failing.
    For the beginining (Start of Frame), do I have to put anything as a default setting? I want the game to open with the Start button visible, and the Play one is invisible behind it (on a different layer.) Which it currently is, but....

I've created the global value, and in the Event Editor:
    StartButton clicked is the event, and under Special Conditions I have the Set StartButton to 1.

So, the user has clicked the Start button, the Global Value is recognized.
    On the next line, I have the Global Value compared (StartButton = 1) and the other actions I have with this is to enable the Play button and make it visible, and disable the Start button and make it invisible.

But it doesn't work...it blinks the Start button for a second, then it's the Play button. Should I create something in Global Events too? Help!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to understand what you're looking for. If you have a start button and click it,.it goes to the next frame (game frame), correct? If so and if you have a button in the game frame that brings you to the main menu again, even if you have it change to a "play" button and then you click that,.you want to continue play on the game frame? If so you will need to save all the data in the game frame to accomplish what you are looking to do. If you just want to change the button to "play" instead of "start", then that's a different story, but even if you change the button and click it to go to the game frame the game will start from the beginning again.

If you just want to change the button, here is an example of what Jeff was saying to do.
    Attached files Attached files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks SO much for posting...yes, to everything you wrote...I have to figure out how to save data in the game frame, so the play button is truly useful, and allows continued play without everything starting over. Your attached file was very helpful is seeing how to set up a switch between the two buttons, so thanks again. If you have any ideas on the best way to save the game frame data, please post again. I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm not the best programmer, but I am trying!!!!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234cb View Post
    Thanks SO much for posting...yes, to everything you wrote...I have to figure out how to save data in the game frame, so the play button is truly useful, and allows continued play without everything starting over. Your attached file was very helpful is seeing how to set up a switch between the two buttons, so thanks again. If you have any ideas on the best way to save the game frame data, please post again. I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm not the best programmer, but I am trying!!!!
    No worries. You're new to all of this and I would suggest that you go to the tutorials here on the site and learn from them. Take them apart and see how they are done. http://www.clickteam.com/website/world/tutorials Also Nivrams site is full of good examples found here. http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

What you want to do with your game is possible using the INI object or Array. You can also do this a different way. When you are playing the game and don't want to save the data, you click on the menu button to return to the main menu,.you could fake the menu by creating it in the game frame. When that happens you can just pause/stop all objects, sounds and so on by using a value. I would suggest that you put all your events in groups. This way when you click the fake menu button you would then deactivate all the groups and activate the menu group.
    It would be like pausing the game. MMF has a pause function by pressing P. It's ok and works, but it's buggy IMO. You can try that too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this idea of grouping, activating and deactivating...I will look into that further! Again, thanks for your help and suggestions, they really helped.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem.