User Tag List

Thread: Can you call the functionality from a scene while in another scene?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you call the functionality from a scene while in another scene?

I originally had my save system functionality as a folder in each scene, but I have 150 scenes now, so I don't want to update all of them if I have to change something.

Right now I would need to save all variables as global ones before transferring the player to the save scene, and then load them when the player finishes saving and exits.

This is annoying because I never intended to save all variables within the scenes.

So, can I pull the script from the save scene into the player's current scene without leaving? Basically, I just want to pull another scene into my current scene.

I hope that this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's a horrible way to do it, but you could use a subapp.
    What kind of game are you making if you don't mind me asking? It sounds like a point and click or similar. Metrovania?

It might have been better to have the entire game in a single frame, but that depends on the type of game you're making.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanMonk View Post
    Well it's a horrible way to do it, but you could use a subapp.
    What kind of game are you making if you don't mind me asking? It sounds like a point and click or similar. Metrovania?

It might have been better to have the entire game in a single frame, but that depends on the type of game you're making.
    I'm making a visual novel, so there is a ton of text, and putting it all in one scene is pretty difficult to manage.

There would be a ton of events and large objects, so that would really slow everything down.

I ended up restricting what could be saved, because I really didn't want to make a sub application.

Basically, you can go to and from a designated save scene, but if you turn the game off or go to the title, you will have to restart the last scene that you were in, just because I always reset some things at the title screen.

However, it would be really helpful to have "streams", where some scenes could carry functionality of other scenes and others not.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use global events.

Also why not just have it auto save at each frame?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanMonk View Post
    You could use global events.

Also why not just have it auto save at each frame?
    I am autosaving as well. The problem is that I have 150 frames, so if I want to change the savie system towards the end, I would have to update all of those frames.

I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpandagames View Post
    I am autosaving as well. The problem is that I have 150 frames, so if I want to change the savie system towards the end, I would have to update all of those frames.
    You probably should have made your game in one frame that loads levels (via the INI object, or via different paragraphs on the string object, or something else).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    150 frames is a lot of stuff. Maybe Global Events can do the trick.