User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Really weird animation behavior

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really weird animation behavior

Hey guys!

Indeed weirdest thing. I made walk animation, it has around 35 frames. It's from side perspective.
    For some reason, it does not play smoothly.

In After Effects it plays smoothly, also image sequence works smoothly in windows picture preview when I hold arrow key.

So I apply the animation, and set 8-direction movement. (Also tried with platformer movement and custom movement).
    It kind of shakes around the legs really weirdly. Tried setting to DX8 and DX9 and with vsync on and off. No difference.

And then, the weirdest part.
    If I play the animation backwards (apply the exact animation to different angle <-) so when I walk backwards in moonwalk style, it plays smoooothly.
    Also I tried reducing frames to half, but it made no difference.

What the heck is going on?

- Jesse

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you post the .mfa file, please?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

I appreciate the help, but I rather not upload the .mfa for now.

Animation plays smoothly backwards in mmf2. Smoothly in After Effects. (Even made it to move about same speed it would in game, and it works beautifully).
    I noticed that if I put the walking animation cycle to "Stopped", so it cycles in the same position, it works very well.

It's so confusing. I noticed I have some pixel ratio stuff going on in After Effects, but I tried chaging it to "Square Pixels" before rendering. Made no difference.

Not sure where to look anymore, any suggestions?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J3sseM - It might be the animation speed settings you're using for your Walking animation slot - it automatically adjusts between Lower and Higher speed depending on how fast the Active is moving (same happens with the Running animation slot). Make sure they're both set to the same value you used in your Stopped animation slot test to get them looking smooth.
    Without looking at your mfa file it's very difficult to help - you could try dragging the active into a new application frame and if it still happens, send that instead of your whole mfa.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's over 1mb so could not add the file as attachment.

Anyway here is older version with same thing occuring.
    http://speedy.sh/X2k5T/animation-weirdness.mfa

Sorry about the page, no idea where else to upload it.

- Jesse

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is certainly weird... I can't make it stop 'jittering' and being a pain in the arse either... Sorry

I suppose' moonwalking really is that smooth.*Rimshot*

... Maybe, if this is really bugging you (It seems to be a problem on MMF2's side), you should attempt using other ways to portray a pair of walking legs.
    Worst case scenario? Attempt using the 'Animation' object.

Although ... I probably wouldn't be able to tell that it was jittering, unless you had told me in beforehand.

If it's not a matter of OCD, my advice is for you to focus on other elements and get back to this one later;
    It might untie itself in the long run, or someone else by that time might have found a solution.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for reply GreenOnion!
    I appreciate your help. Indeed it's weird, been banging my head to the wall couple days straight now.

Gotta move to another things for now, and as you suggested, hopefully some genius figures what is causing this.

Oh yeah I also tried to export to .jpg sequence without alpha channel, but it does same jittering with solid background aswell. This to narrow things down.

Would appreciate if someone from Clickteam could look into this?

- Jesse

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J3sseM - I think the problem is that your animation speed is 50 and your movement speed is 23, this results in your frames updating every other frame but your object is moving about 3 pixels every frame. It looks fine for moonwalk, because the legs aren't in nearly the same position each frame. IMHO It's an interesting illusion rather than a problem with MMF2

Change your animation speed to 100 so it updates every frame and your movement speed to 48 (6 pixels per frame). If this is too fast, you'll need more frames to your animation, or halve its dimensions so each animation frame doesn't need to move so much.

I hope this helps you get it working correctly.

PS: One thing I did notice with this file is that the mirror and flip controls do nothing to your image, which does seem to be a bug, perhaps because your using RGB(0,0,0) for your image which tends to be used for the mask colour (just a guess!). When I filled some of the image with another colour, the flip and mirror controls just changed a small bit of black that hadn't been filled, but still didn't flip or mirror the image! Also I was unable to see the animation playing in the Picture editor as it just displayed a black box.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okey, thanks guys! And sorry for the late response.
    It's still weird, because I can move the animation in After Effects at speed around mmf's "23", and it displays smoothly.
    But yeah, thanks for good points! At least now I know where to look.

By the way, what colour are you using for alpha channel when you import graphics. It's a little confusing since I'm using .png files which already has alpha channels saved.

Thanks!

- Jesse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J3sseM - Perhaps After Effects is moving your animation in sub-pixels (ie <1 pixel) which is why it looks smooth?
    I tend to use magenta RGB(255,0,255) for the transparent colour when importing graphics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast