User Tag List

Thread: Android Device

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Android Device

Hi!

Any recommendations for an Android Phone to develop on?

Thanks!
    Per

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There are sooo many devices out there it's unreal. My current setup allows me to test both high(ish) end and low end devices.

I test with a Sony Xperia U (1.2 Dual Core) and a MiScroll Tablet (7"). I have yet to purchase something with a low-end device such equipped with something low-end like an Adreno 130/200 GPU.
    OpenGL 1.1 will give you reasonable consistency between both low and high end devices, yet if you want to target only high-end devices then just use OpenGL 2.0.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.bluestacks.com is an android emulator on windows and mac. If for some reason you cannot get the android sdk emulator to work and/or cannot get a physical android device, bluestacks can emulate an android phone or android tablet running 2.3.3

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Android Device

Thanks for all the info.

I bought a 'Samsung Galaxy SII plus', hoping that will do the job

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that the Samsung Galaxy S II Plus has a resolution of 480 x 800. Most newer phones have a resolution of 1280 x 720. Of course there are a lot of different resolutions and DPIs among Android devices, but just keep in mind that your applications (sizing mostly) will be a little different on different devices so the people with new phones will see your app a little differently - You need to always plan for this and expect that your users could be using any screen size/DPI.

Emulators are okay for some things, but not everything (accelerometer, vibration, camera hardware, actual hardware flaws, etc). I have been developing Android apps for quite some time and it is best to have ~3 different actual test devices. Personally, I use: Samsung Galaxy S III (Android 4.1.2), Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.1) , an HTC Desire (Android 2.3), and a Samsung Acclaim (Android 2.2). Using all these different models means that I know how my app works across a broad spectrum of devices with different hardware, different DPIs, and different resolutions.

If you can, I highly suggest picking up some old phones to use as test devices - I'm sure that someone you could get a hold of either has one they don't want, or knows someone who has one to get rid of for cheap/free. There is no shortage of supercheap/free Android devices so look around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Android Device

Thanks for great help

I bought a used Samsung Galaxy S III cheap, and have asked around for older devices.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Android Device

There is also a smartphone which is a little expensive but runs vanilla Android, it's the Nexus 4 at 349$ for 16GB.