User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Slayin

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slayin

My action game Slayin has finally hit the appstore this morning:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slayin/id548580856?mt=8

It has taken a year of retooling and polishing, but hopefully people will find it a bargain at 99 cents. My publisher has been great in supporting the release and even had this nifty trailer made:

http://youtu.be/GC003ZiXkt8

Many thanks to the community and the devs (Anders, you were a life saver) for helping to make it happen. MMF makes dreams come true. ^_^

Reg

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent! I really liked the Flash version. Insta-buy!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW x 10! Fantastic game mobichan!

Clicker Fusion 2.5iOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought for iPad

Two questions, if you don't mind - why did you use joypad controls instead of just tapping for left/right/jump? Also you have > 200 ratings in such a short time - how did you go about publicity?

Cheers and great game! Played the flash version and happy to have bought it for iOS.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He went through a publisher :P they do a lot of marketing for you.

Congrats on the release, looks fun! I'll pick it up tonight

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic game! Congrats

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if you saw but Slayin is featured all over the place and is in the top 10 Paid games! Congrats and Awesome job again on this game! Its soooo fun!

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. In some ways it was a community effort, since I had lots of help in the forums dealing with the quirks of iOS development. As for the sudden success, I think it was a combination of things. I have a publisher who is doing more of a grass roots marketing campaign. They post in forums and contact blogs that are focused on retro games. They also had contacts at Apple so there was a "possibility" of being featured. But since it is a cryptic process, I can't stress enough that there are no guarantees with Apple when it comes to featuring. However, featuring is a major factor in success these days, so it is VERY hard to gain any traction without it. Actually, I was told that website reviews don't matter as much since the casual player doesn't go to game websites and usually only looks at the top 25 or so apps when they visit the appstore. Another big factor was timing. We managed to hit a sweet spot where very little was being pushed by the bigger publishers. And Nimble Quest came out a few days before which might have helped lead the charge for retro games this week. I will post more as the days go by and let you know if we see any trends.

For others looking for advice, I would highly recommend a publisher. They handle a lot of the things developers dread (marketing, localization, etc) and also push for features that you might not think of or prioritize. Also, they keep you driven to make deadlines and help with testing. My publisher, FDG Entertainment, was actually very casual about my schedule, since I worked on it on weekends and just had a baby halfway through development. They said we would ship it when it is ready. I was very lucky to find a publisher like that, considering I work in the game industry as my fulltime job and have seen how publishers can be.

And I can't stress enough how awesome Clickteam are with supporting us. I probably pinged Anders more often than I should have near the end of development with bugs I needed fixing. But he came through every time and worked with me on an individual basis. That would never happen with another development platform, I guarantee!

Oh, another thing to consider (which I think has been said in the forums) is releasing on a Thursday. The idea here is that you want a high position on the charts by Friday night so all the casual weekend shoppers will see you. It has been shown the most appstore traffic happens on weekends and that is when your revenue will peak. I actually made Slayin on iOS to get exposure, not make money. But if the first 2 days are an indicator, I think my daughter will have a decent college fund started in a week. :P Fingers crossed this lasts more than a weekend.

Cheers,

Reg

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobichan View Post
    ...and also push for features that you might not think of or prioritize.
    I am sure that your success with Slayin will last long after the week end. Thank you very much for your informative post. Could you tell us a little more about which features your publisher pushed?

Clicker

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, basically anything involving lots of data management. :P Because that is the stuff I tend to minimalize and avoid, since it is not fun for me to code that stuff. The entire Tavern section was a way to introduce the Fame Point system and incentivize replay with casual gamers. Also, the Graveyard screen that acts as a leaderboard with your friends was a big undertaking that the publisher was very excited to add. Looking back, all these features were great additions to the game, but planning these features so they could be expanded over time was a challenge for me. The Quest system was also a request from the publisher and that caused the most headaches because I had to track the Quest conditions. Working on these additions has given me a lot of practice using Arrays and List Objects, which used to scare me, quite frankly. ^_^' The nice thing is that when we update the game with new content, the groundwork is now laid to make that process pretty painless.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast