User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Save backgrounds as compressed images within the game?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save backgrounds as compressed images within the game?

Is there a way to put, for example, a compressed .jpg image into the game? I made a test by loading a full-screen .jpg image into a background object. I added some crazy compressing and the image filesize is 383 kb.

An empty .mfa is 269 kb.

The .mfa with the image loaded into it is ~7,620 kb.

So the image lost all of it's compression and became lossless, and essentially turned from 383 kb to 7351 kb. The problem here should be obvious.

I do NOT want to load the image from within the game, I don't want to have any of the art anywhere separately. That would completely ruin the game in this case.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do about this, since MMF2 has it's own way of handling images internally. Like an active object with the same image would be larger in size compared to a background object.

If file size is an issue, then having the compressed image external from the program may be the recommended solution (such as a folder named "Data", and it'll keep the size of the EXE down) but you've specifically stated:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsun View Post
    I do NOT want to load the image from within the game, I don't want to have any of the art anywhere separately. That would completely ruin the game in this case.
    Similarly, if you was to embed the compressed JPG as a binary file, this could extract the graphics to a temporary directory to load in the game later..... but if you would like to keep your files internal, your options are fairly limited.

Beforehand, I tend to prefer PNG since this has great compression and doesn't lose quality compared to JPEG.... but it doesn't really matter much since MMF2 has it's own way.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah you aren't going to get what you want with this Tsun. As mentioned, MMF just basically creates its own lossless images to use... no matter what the file type is when you import it. It really can be annoying because it's immensely memory heavy. I'm not sure why MMF uses it's own formatting... I honestly think they should just have everything be PNG, and internalize those files or something.

To me it feels like it's taking small sized images and turning them into massive BMP-like files... which doesn't really matter so much for PC games but it's not really well equipped for Android/iOS which MMF is now capable of exporting to... I think it was kind of just an issue of when they created MMF2, it wasn't top priority to keep images compressed... I dunno. I'm honestly not sure what the logic was behind their decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm this is going to be trouble. I'm doing a full-screen high quality visual novel / point&click game, and it's going to have a massive filesize because of this. It definitely rules out mobile versions of the game. A quick estimate puts the game at over 250 mb, and I don't even know all of the content that I want to put in. JPG is a brilliant file format for large images with lot of colors, because it's VERY small filesize compared to other formats, and you won't even be able to tell the difference compared to PNG (unless you over-compress or rev up your magnifier). Quick check and colorful full-hd wallpapers run at ~1-3mb on png, and ~200-800kb on low compression jpg. Although PNG is still less than half the filesize that MMF gives me...

If I put the art into a folder and load them from the game, it's putting the key moments of the story and the ending directly into the folder, so that's why it's out of question. Another problem is the mobile versions.

I agree they should redo the way MMF handles graphics, or at least give more options. Maybe MMF3 hmm..
    I feel like MMF is afraid of the future to some ends, as 3D seems to be frowned upon on all aspects, and it's difficult to use HD graphics without this filesize issue.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you can try storing your images as binary data and load them at runtime as needed. I have never tried it myself, but if it work the way I think it does, you would end up with images that are stored inside the exe file but are not uncompressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried either, I'll look into it though.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to learn this as well.
    I have baked 30 picture animation. I compressed them quite some, and it's only around 1,5mb on computer.
    But when I load my files into MMF2 it eats around 50mb of memory which is insane.

Btw how can you load compressed images from a folder, instead of letting MMF2 to mess them?

- Jesse

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You use the active picture object, or the surface object (though it is unnecessary to do so unless you are making, say, a graphic-making program), or some other object that can load external images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nvmnvm

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygreenfrog View Post
    You use the active picture object, or the surface object (though it is unnecessary to do so unless you are making, say, a graphic-making program), or some other object that can load external images.
    How does one apply animations to active picture object?
    Or is active object really only way? Seems crazy that 1,5mb image sequence takes 50mb in game.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast