User Tag List

Thread: Quick Question Regarding Text Objects VS Graphic Made With Text

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Quick Question Regarding Text Objects VS Graphic Made With Text

I am preparing a flash/ios/android/CD PC executable project and a quick question please...MOST art and animations are complete.

What is better and what is the logic?

I have a game that displays say a diary page, journal, or postcard that has to have text on it.

If I create the graphic of the diary page, say, create the text on it and save it as a png or jpg, and import it into MMF2 as a backdrop, what would be the difference if I used a Text Object and created the text and placed it on the empty diary graphic?

Would it look any different or what would be the issues?

Rolando

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    File size would be the difference, mainly. If you are saving out pngs the file size will be much larger than if you're just using the string object inside of MMF. The thing about saving out text as images, is that it will always look right for everyone on every device. With the string object, there's a chance the user doesn't have the font that you used, and it will cause MMF to use a similar font that the user actually has. This could cause differences between various devices or platforms.

If the file size isn't that massive, then I'd just go with saving out pngs. Mainly you want to use strings if you have a lot of text that is being altered at runtime. If it's just saved diary pages then you could get away with the images. (again, if they aren't causing a huge file size, since you are targeting flash/ios/android where you want to keep file size smaller)

My favorite solution though is to mix both worlds by doing text blitting. What you do is you're creating an image set for all the letters/numbers/characters, and then you run a loop at runtime to place out all the little font images into your text. There are 3 great tutorials for it here:

http://www.diybandits.com.au/MMF/tutorials.html

(under Text Blitting)

With text blitting you can have the text "read out" like many popular RPGs do, or you can have it all show at once like normal. It also works across ALL platforms, and you are guaranteed to have the exact same results on all devices/platforms. The text can be as fancy and decorated as you want, and it can change at runtime to whatever you want, so it's by far the most superior text solution available. It just takes a bit of learning to understand how it works, but after that you can go crazy with it and use it for everything.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for the reply and for the link.