Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lots Of Questions about

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots Of Questions About .SWFs

I have a few questions about saving data in my flash game that I plan to distribute online:

1. Will the scores in the hi-score object (not mochi) be saved, or will they be reset each time the game is loaded?
    2. Does the .ini object work for flash the same way as .exe?
    3. Where is the .ini file stored on the computer?
    4. Is their anyway to encrypt or protect the .ini file to prevent tampering by the user?
    5. Can data be stored on the users computer any other way, such as flash cookies?
    6. Can data be stored on the cloud / internet any way, other than Mochi Social?
    7. Are all of the following APIs up-to-date and available without MMF2 Developer?
    • Mochi Media
    • GamerSafe (pretty sure this is developer only, but not sure why)
    • New-Grounds
    • Kongregate
    • Any other similar APIs I did not list.

8. Is their anyway to set a minimum version of flash required for the program to work?
    9. When exporting to flash, is the .swf file generally bigger or smaller than the .mfa (project file)? I can't test it because I am using the demo. I just need an estimate of the final file size.
    10. How many plays / money can I expect to get from my first flash game if I use Mochi distribution?

Thanks. Sorry if these questions are kind of dumb.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyoffacliff View Post
    I have a few questions about saving data in my flash game that I plan to distribute online:

1. Will the scores in the hi-score object (not mochi) be saved, or will they be reset each time the game is loaded?
    2. Does the .ini object work for flash the same way as .exe?
    3. Where is the .ini file stored on the computer?
    4. Is their anyway to encrypt or protect the .ini file to prevent tampering by the user?
    5. Can data be stored on the users computer any other way, such as flash cookies?
    6. Can data be stored on the cloud / internet any way, other than Mochi Social?
    7. Are all of the following APIs up-to-date and available without MMF2 Developer?
    • Mochi Media
    • GamerSafe (pretty sure this is developer only, but not sure why)
    • New-Grounds
    • Kongregate
    • Any other similar APIs I did not list.

8. Is their anyway to set a minimum version of flash required for the program to work?
    9. When exporting to flash, is the .swf file generally bigger or smaller than the .mfa (project file)? I can't test it because I am using the demo. I just need an estimate of the final file size.
    10. How many plays / money can I expect to get from my first flash game if I use Mochi distribution?

Thanks. Sorry if these questions are kind of dumb.
    1. I think they will be saved, as I'm pretty sure it saves them via flash cookies (same as the INI object, as I'm about to be saying).
    2. Sorta. You only specify a file name, and it saves it as a flash cookie.
    3. As a flash cookie.
    4. It is saved as a flash cookie, so it should be pretty safe.
    5. It already is stored as a flash cookie.
    6. You would almost certainly need a new extension to do it, but it should be possible.
    7. I don't know if the extensions for all of those APIs are up-to-date, and I'm almost certain that some of them are MMF2 Developer-only (most/all of the Mochi objects, if I remember correctly).
    8. Yes, it is a property.
    9. I just checked, and one of my games' SWF files is much smaller than the MFA file.
    10. I can't promise you anything. If it is a good game, you should be able to get lots of money from ads. However, if it is a horrible game, most people will probably only play it once, so you can't expect very many plays if that is the case.

I'm not 100% sure about the INI files saving as flash cookies, but I'm 99% sure about it. I also forget whether or not the highscore object is compatible with the flash runtime, I'll go check.

EDIT: Yes, the highscore object saves.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygreenfrog View Post
    1. I think they will be saved, as I'm pretty sure it saves them via flash cookies (same as the INI object, as I'm about to be saying).
    2. Sorta. You only specify a file name, and it saves it as a flash cookie.
    3. As a flash cookie.
    4. It is saved as a flash cookie, so it should be pretty safe.
    5. It already is stored as a flash cookie.
    6. You would almost certainly need a new extension to do it, but it should be possible.
    7. I don't know if the extensions for all of those APIs are up-to-date, and I'm almost certain that some of them are MMF2 Developer-only (most/all of the Mochi objects, if I remember correctly).
    8. Yes, it is a property.
    9. I just checked, and one of my games' SWF files is much smaller than the MFA file.
    10. I can't promise you anything. If it is a good game, you should be able to get lots of money from ads. However, if it is a horrible game, most people will probably only play it once, so you can't expect very many plays if that is the case.

I'm not 100% sure about the INI files saving as flash cookies, but I'm 99% sure about it. I also forget whether or not the highscore object is compatible with the flash runtime, I'll go check.

EDIT: Yes, the highscore object saves.

Thanks for the fast reply:

1. Thanks. Flash cookies have a 100KB limit without prompting the user to allow more space. Will this be enough for a few hi-score tables and .ini files?
    2. Thanks.
    3. Thanks.
    4. But can't it be accessed through "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flas h Player\#SharedObjects" and edited?
    5. Thanks.
    6. Thanks.
    7. Aren't the mochi ones free with the purchase of the .swf exporter?
    8. Sorry, but I don't see it. Is it in the application properties?
    9. Thanks.
    10. Thanks.

Thanks for your help. I still have a few more questions, I will try to come back and post them this weekend at the latest.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the fast reply:

1. Thanks. Flash cookies have a 100KB limit without prompting the user to allow more space. Will this be enough for a few hi-score tables and .ini files?
    2. Thanks.
    3. Thanks.
    4. But can't it be accessed through "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flas h Player\#SharedObjects" and edited?
    5. Thanks.
    6. Thanks.
    7. Aren't the mochi ones free with the purchase of the .swf exporter?
    8. Sorry, but I don't see it. Is it in the application properties?
    9. Thanks.
    10. Thanks.

Thanks for your help. I still have a few more questions, I will try to come back and post them this weekend at the latest.
    1. Yes, it should be plenty.
    4. From what I've heard, they're encrypted, or obfuscated, or something like that. In other words, they're unreadable.
    7. Maybe they are available in MMF2 standard. I just looked at the product comparison, and it showed MMF2 as being MochiAds capable. However, it says nothing about the other objects. Those were the ones I was talking about, so someone who has MMF2 standard or an admin will have to clear it up.
    8. The property might not be in the demo, but this handy screenshot should help: Flash player version.jpg

If you have any other questions, just ask.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Yes, it should be plenty.
    4. From what I've heard, they're encrypted, or obfuscated, or something like that. In other words, they're unreadable.
    7. Maybe they are available in MMF2 standard. I just looked at the product comparison, and it showed MMF2 as being MochiAds capable. However, it says nothing about the other objects. Those were the ones I was talking about, so someone who has MMF2 standard or an admin will have to clear it up.
    8. The property might not be in the demo, but this handy screenshot should help: Flash player version.jpg

If you have any other questions, just ask.

1. Thanks.
    4. Not to be rude, but are you sure? This screenshot is from the .ini tutorial, it explains that they are insecure. It says they can be secured by embedding them into the .exe or using an extension to encrypt them: ini message.jpg Is this outdated? Or does it not apply to .swf files?
    7. Thanks. It seems weird that Mochi is available in standard, but all the other similar API's require developer.
    8. Yes, I am not sure why, but some of the options are missing in the demo. That is one of them. Thanks for the screenshot. I am not sure what to set it on though. Any recommendations?

I will ask more questions when I get a chance, I am just pretty busy right now. Thanks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Thanks.
    4. Not to be rude, but are you sure? This screenshot is from the .ini tutorial, it explains that they are insecure. It says they can be secured by embedding them into the .exe or using an extension to encrypt them: ini message.jpg Is this outdated? Or does it not apply to .swf files?
    7. Thanks. It seems weird that Mochi is available in standard, but all the other similar API's require developer.
    8. Yes, I am not sure why, but some of the options are missing in the demo. That is one of them. Thanks for the screenshot. I am not sure what to set it on though. Any recommendations?

I will ask more questions when I get a chance, I am just pretty busy right now. Thanks.
    4. The INI tutorial was made well before the Flash runtime was made. In the Flash runtime, it is pretty well-secured from what I've heard.
    7. No, I said the other Mochi objects might require developer. The other API's (such as the New-Grounds one (though I'm not 100% sure the New-Grounds API extension is working properly as of now)) should work fine without developer, as the extensions for them aren't made by Clickteam (they are third-party extensions, though you download them from these forums, and some of them might require developer).
    8. 10.0.0 is pretty much the highest you'll need to set it (as of now), no matter what extensions you are using.

I hope that clears things up!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7. Newgrounds extension currently have all features but the save game working, I've made recent tests with it. (Though there are aditional features that would be nice to be included, such as the standard newgrounds medals interface)

10. It depends on a lot of factors, game quality / nice graphics / replay value.. And so on. there are really crappy games that gets a lot of money from ads, though some rather polished games didn't get much attention. Somehow, there's a lucky factor involved too.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4. The INI tutorial was made well before the Flash runtime was made. In the Flash runtime, it is pretty well-secured from what I've heard.
    7. No, I said the other Mochi objects might require developer. The other API's (such as the New-Grounds one (though I'm not 100% sure the New-Grounds API extension is working properly as of now)) should work fine without developer, as the extensions for them aren't made by Clickteam (they are third-party extensions, though you download them from these forums, and some of them might require developer).
    8. 10.0.0 is pretty much the highest you'll need to set it (as of now), no matter what extensions you are using.

I hope that clears things up!

4. Okay, thanks.
    Mochi Media - I have confirmed all features are available in the standard edition.
    GamerSafe - It says it requires developer, but I am not sure why, none of the other API's do. I like Gamer safe because I think it is the only one that supports micro-transactions (in-game purchases). Here is a link to the thread.
    New-Grounds - I thought this was a third-party extension. It is released by Clickteam? Why don't they update it then?
    Kongregate - I thought this was a third-party extension. It is released by Clickteam?

I was planning on using Mochi for " behind the scenes" stuff (Ads, Live Updates, Distribution, and Save Data) and Gamersafe for things the player uses (Accounts, Achievements, Hi-Scores, Micro-Transactions), but I can't use GamerSafe if it requires developer. Anyone know of another way/API that supports Micro-Transactions?

10. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistus View Post
    7. Newgrounds extension currently have all features but the save game working, I've made recent tests with it. (Though there are aditional features that would be nice to be included, such as the standard newgrounds medals interface)

10. It depends on a lot of factors, game quality / nice graphics / replay value.. And so on. there are really crappy games that gets a lot of money from ads, though some rather polished games didn't get much attention. Somehow, there's a lucky factor involved too.

Thanks. Do you think it will get updated?

__________________________________________________ __________________

11. Do the Kongregate and New-Grounds APIs work on other portals? Or only Kongregate and New-Grounds?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4. Okay, thanks.
    Mochi Media - I have confirmed all features are available in the standard edition.
    GamerSafe - It says it requires developer, but I am not sure why, none of the other API's do. I like Gamer safe because I think it is the only one that supports micro-transactions (in-game purchases). Here is a link to the thread.
    New-Grounds - I thought this was a third-party extension. It is released by Clickteam? Why don't they update it then?
    Kongregate - I thought this was a third-party extension. It is released by Clickteam?

I was planning on using Mochi for " behind the scenes" stuff (Ads, Live Updates, Distribution, and Save Data) and Gamersafe for things the player uses (Accounts, Achievements, Hi-Scores, Micro-Transactions), but I can't use GamerSafe if it requires developer. Anyone know of another way/API that supports Micro-Transactions?

10. Thanks.

Thanks. Do you think it will get updated?

__________________________________________________ __________________

11. Do the Kongregate and New-Grounds APIs work on other portals? Or only Kongregate and New-Grounds?
    11. I don't think you will be allowed to use the Kongregate API on Newgrounds, or the Newgrounds API on Kongregate, though I could be wrong. Just to be on the safe side, though, I wouldn't hope that they would.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast