User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Optimisation

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optimisation

I'm sure I read tips before but can't remember where.

My application is starting to get really slow and I have a fairly high end device ( HTC One x plus, Jellybean 4.1 ).
    Please pardon the list below but it would be handy to know for future reference.

Would a large quick backdrop slow things down?
    I'm using opengl es 1.1 and stretch to fit, would that contribute?
    Do actives use more resources than backdrops?
    Do invisible objects take up a lot of processing power?
    I'm guessing alpha blended objects will take a toll?
    I remember reading something about texture sizes matter, multiples of 8 are optimal is it?

If someone could provide some insight on the above, I would really appreciate it.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi scottige.
    Would a large quick backdrop slow things down? No.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my experience quick backdrop using a repeating motif does most definitely slow things down hugely for android. Try using manually placed regular backdrops. It seems counterintuitive but i determined this empirically

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya scottige,

Transparencies and any alpha channels hurt it for deffinate, also avoid fine collision detection wherever you can, limit your number of "always" and "fastloop" events too. Using stretch to fit only had a minor impact on performance in my experience (680x400 resolution).

Chris

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Limit always? I you mean just the Number of Events, I wouldn't think it affects.
    I don't know how the REAL Code is working but I would expect, that all the "Always" events are gathered to one Routine! This would mean, no matter the number of Events "Always" you put in your Event Editor, there will always be ONE "Always" part of code.

Now if you mean the number of Actions that take part in even 1 "Always" event, then yes, probably this could cause slow down...Still I am not sure...

But then, that's just me!

Clicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good call on the quick backdrops, those were crippling my app.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using opengl es 1.1 and stretch to fit, would that contribute?
    - On some devices 1.1 actually runs a lot faster than the other option.

Do actives use more resources than backdrops?
    - As far as I'm aware, yes.

Do invisible objects take up a lot of processing power?
    - I did experiments with invisible objects and it seems the memory usage of the app actually goes down when you have objects that are invisible.

I remember reading something about texture sizes matter, multiples of 8 are optimal is it?
    - Yes, this improves the rendering of the hardware acceleration. You can have like 8x8, 16x8, 8x16, 8x64, etc.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottige View Post
    I'm sure I read tips before but can't remember where.

My application is starting to get really slow and I have a fairly high end device ( HTC One x plus, Jellybean 4.1 ).
    Please pardon the list below but it would be handy to know for future reference.

1) Would a large quick backdrop slow things down?
    2) I'm using opengl es 1.1 and stretch to fit, would that contribute?
    3) Do actives use more resources than backdrops?
    4) Do invisible objects take up a lot of processing power?
    5) I'm guessing alpha blended objects will take a toll?
    6) I remember reading something about texture sizes matter, multiples of 8 are optimal is it?

If someone could provide some insight on the above, I would really appreciate it.
    1) Too many factors, shouldn't do but one large backdrop is better than multiple backdrops.
    2) OpenGL ES 1.1 and Stretch to Fit is quite optimum. It ensures legacy compatibility throughout all devices and is actually faster than 2.0, I would only recommend using 2.0 IF you're targeting high-end devices only.
    3) Yes
    4) Any invisible object isn't rendered at all, so it uses 0 processing power.
    5) Alpha Blended will yes, I would recommend 'baking' any alpha effects, also don't use the standard properties dialog to apply Alpha Blending, use the Active Action in the event editor (effect > Compatiblity > Semi-Transparency)
    6) Texture size is again a choice but sticking to the power of 2, you are assisting with the rendering. The smallest texture size is 8x8, so you could have multiples of 8x8, 16x16 etc. but you can also use say 128x256. Again with both dimensions being the power of 2, it's still optimised.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superb guys, thanks.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice uncheck machine independant speed is better. Just tried on my tablet Iconia 500 and Samsung I9000. Before uncheck, some frames I got lags. OpenGL ES 1.1 works fine on Android 4.0. I'll check on last version soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast