User Tag List

Thread: How to assign Xbox 360 controller triggers

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to assign Xbox 360 controller triggers

Hey guys!

Since the triggers aren't buttons but Z-axis I find it difficult to map correctly.

In my game player draws a weapon while holding a key, and shoots while holding a key and presses another key.
    So I would love to hold Left trigger, and shoot with right trigger.

Anyway, I paired counter with Z-axis, and it seems that both triggers works in same value. Left trigger goes from +995 to 0, and right trigger from -996 to 0. So it seems that triggers works from 995 to -996 axis.
    No idea why the right trigger is 996, thou if I hold left trigger and then at the same time right trigger the value goes to 0.

Any solutions?
    I'm also giving player option to re-map buttons.

- Jesse

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh I don't think I asked if xbox 360 is a good console or not.

Fact is xbox 360 controller is very good and lots of people are using it. So I would like my game to support the controller.

But how to achieve shooting with triggers is my question.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLongDragon View Post
    But isn't the Xbox 360 controller still copyrighted? And I find it isn't the answer to everything -- sometimes a game is just a game.
    Please stop diverting other people's topics of conversation - this user asked a simple question about an xbox controller and does not need a load of opinion on whether the xbox console is good or otherwise. You have been warned before about this, all users are politely reminded that hijacking threads with spurious information will not be tolerated.

Unless you have something to add which either answers the original post, or adds relevant discussion or indeed further questions, commenting just clutters up legitimate threads and makes it hard for people to get help. Please keep a lid on it!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to assign Xbox 360 controller triggers

Quote Originally Posted by OldLongDragon View Post
    But isn't the Xbox 360 controller still copyrighted? And I find it isn't the answer to everything -- sometimes a game is just a game.
    In lots of indie games, when you connect a Xbox 360 controller on your COMPUTER the game remaps every button so it works. So NO, the USE of the Xbox controller isn't copyrighted. Imagine a Xbox game had to pay royalties to use a controller!
    Stop asking stupid questions (What is the purpose of X? Is it a "wow" effect?) and JUST ANSWER.

On topic, try the "Compare two general values" condition and set it like this : Trigger Axis >= your value. Then you could activate a flag or something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samcool_129 View Post
    On topic, try the "Compare two general values" condition and set it like this : Trigger Axis >= your value. Then you could activate a flag or something.
    Thanks for suggestion, did not think of that before.
    I'll give it a shot soon, I'll report back if it worked and how.

Thanks!

- Jesse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to double-post.
    I played around with "Compare two general values" but can't get event up correctly.
    Tried like this:
    Turn internal flag 1 on when z-axis is >=900

Internal flag 1 is on
    Z-axis is = 0 = Fire

Basically works, but it will fire if I just hold left trigger and release it.
    Problem is that it's same axis, and when I hold left trigger to aim, I can't get negative value by pressing right trigger. It only goes to 0.

Can't believe how hard it is to create shooting event with gamepad triggers.
    Anyway, all the help is most welcome!

- Jesse

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J3sseM View Post
    Sorry to double-post.
    Don't worry about that, we don't mind double posting here so long as it's useful and adding to discussions and topics as yours did

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Simon.

Tried some google and I think it is possible that there is a problem with my xbox controller drivers. I have wireless controller with adapter so that does not help.
    Gotta lend wired controller and see if that helps.

But meanwhile if you figure way around I would not mind!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to bump this, but I am having the same exact issue on thinking of a way to allow your self to press both Triggers at the same time and letting go of them and treating them both as different actions even through axis value is 0

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang I figured that much CURSES XINPUT is the only way