Thread: Steam Extension

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steam Extension

So now that the Steamworks SDK is public, when do you think we can get the Steam Extension?

Jeff?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As soon as someone makes one
    We got a lot going on so it will have to be someone outside of the core of Clickteam any takers?

If any indie extension developers want to take this up I have a reasonable amount of dev money to help or would help you market the extension to the user base yourself.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ooooh, nice! There already is Steam extension (not a complete one, but it does some things at least) somewhere, but obviously it was never released for the public. Gonna try to get that changed.

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Looki that's the one I'm referring to. Anything is better than nothing at this point.

I think it's in Clickteam's best interest to get this thing made and available ASAP... it's a huge benefit to indie game developers to be able to integrate with Steam, since a lot of indie devs are trying to get their game on Steam now. (and several MMF devs already have!)

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A steam extension ? You want mean a Steam Runtime no? (If it is really an Extension, will be available for free / for MMF2 No Developper versions / Only Developper Versions ?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Steam Extension

Quote Originally Posted by BackStaged View Post
    A steam extension ? You want mean a Steam Runtime no? (If it is really an Extension, will be available for free / for MMF2 No Developper versions / Only Developper Versions ?
    Nope, Steam games are usual EXEs, the extension would use friends list, achievements...

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for answer samcool_129, so accordly to that point of view, As far I know Steam use a game layer interface overall the game interface (showed by TAB+SHIFT). So, actually, that show the Steam layer, access to friendlist, chatlist and achievements aswell a webbrowser. This is made possible because the developper use the Steam SDK for built his application/game.

Now... I Wonder how a "simple" Steam Extension will be able to use that features of Steam SDK. It require a Steam APIKey no? And so must have an account on Steam Developper Network no? I Wonder how.. Just Wonder how...

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steamworks was released publicly... so I'm assuming you don't need anything for it now.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Steamextension is VERY useful for my current project (soon on greenlight) !

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need any special integration for the steam overlay, it's just something that can run on top of any normal .exe. You can add a non steam game to your steam library and that will have the steam overlay too. So you can already build a regular MMF2 exe, add it to your steam library, and if you launch it through there it will have the steam overlay enabled

So I think the actual steam API would be something fairly similar to one of the flash apis (mochi for example), where you just pass it achievement data etc. So it shouldn't be too hard to get a basic steam extension working.

And this definitely sounds like a good idea, it could attract some more attention to mmf2 for steam developers.

I'm definitely heading in the greenlight direction with future projects too, and if there isn't a steam extension around when I'm a bit closer to putting something on there I'll have a crack at it. Somebody more experienced could do a better job than me though I'm sure!

It would be fantastic to eventually have a fully-functional steam extension with achievements and steamworks functionality (using the steam servers for multiplayer, DLC and possibly even mod support through steam?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast