User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Single vs multiple frames?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Single vs multiple frames?

I am doing a new project and I have not decided on using multiple frames or just one frame for everything. Is there any major advantages or disadvantages to why people use just one frame for everything or divide it up on multiple?

I am actually doing all the level stuff on one single frame that loads in the level, but I am mainly thinking if I should also have the main menu, level select and everything else on the same frame, or do separate frames for those things.

Opinions?

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think filesize and uniformity of code would be the main advantages? The fewer frames you have, the less times you have to repeat code and files?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's kind of a pain in the butt to have to change the code in all frames if you discover a bug halfway through making levels.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you can have "global" code though, but i forgot what the limitations are to that?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Single vs multiple frames?

I've had issues in the past with global code being slightly buggy, perhaps that's been fixed, but the habit has already developed.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plan on doing like 3 levels or something... you might be better splitting it into 3 frames. Otherwise you should always go single frame and build an editor/loader for your game.

- It saves a ton of file space (each level is just saved as some text/numbers instead of the giant frame that MMF saves)
    - You only have one frame to edit events on
    - You get a level editor that is custom to exactly what you need. You can set up the level editor so you can even define specific values for specific instances of an object... something you can't do with MMF.
    - If you polish the editor enough, you can release that to your userbase so they can make their own levels. Just a nice addition to your game release.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Konidias View Post
    If you plan on doing like 3 levels or something... you might be better splitting it into 3 frames. Otherwise you should always go single frame and build an editor/loader for your game.

- It saves a ton of file space (each level is just saved as some text/numbers instead of the giant frame that MMF saves)
    - You only have one frame to edit events on
    - You get a level editor that is custom to exactly what you need. You can set up the level editor so you can even define specific values for specific instances of an object... something you can't do with MMF.
    - If you polish the editor enough, you can release that to your userbase so they can make their own levels. Just a nice addition to your game release.
    This only works if you can load external files though? Like in a exe game? It does not work if you have to have everything in one file? (Like in a swf for a flash game?)

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest disadvantage of mulitple frames IMO by far is when you have to fix or add something later. H2 is done through multiple frames because for me that's the best way to do it- but I won't pretend that having to copy / paste grouped events over 150 frames later is a lot of fun.

A good advantage of multiple frames might be that you can have many unique objects or things happen but only on one or a few frames. You can screw around with stuff on those frames because it won't mess with the other frames in your game. If you had a single frame, you'd have to add everything possible in your game to that one frame and that might get confusing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have got the impression it is ok or even good from this to use multiple frames when it comes to Main Menu, Map screen, Level select and so on. But to stick to one frame for all actual levels. I hope that is correct

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's basically how it goes. Right now my game is a title screen frame, an overworld frame, and the main game frame that loads the levels.

Also Outcast, you can store your level files internally. It's in the Data Elements option.. (the little music note icon in your MMF toolbar) You just go to the Binary Data tab and you can add in files like txt files or array files there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast