User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Screen Resolution PC

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Screen Resolution PC

I am looking at making a game on the PC... but i am slightly confused about screen resolutions.

What resolution should i make the graphics? Do people just do widescreen formats. Prefer full screen, or do you make multi resolutions (and guessing this requires graphics in different sizes).

I'm hoping to make a game for steam at some point, but want to be clear what i need to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonDarby View Post
    I am looking at making a game on the PC... but i am slightly confused about screen resolutions.

What resolution should i make the graphics? Do people just do widescreen formats. Prefer full screen, or do you make multi resolutions (and guessing this requires graphics in different sizes).

I'm hoping to make a game for steam at some point, but want to be clear what i need to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason
    A simple solution: Design it at whatever resolution, then use the UltimateFullscreen object. It will let you maintain the aspect ratio in fullscreen (with the fullscreen actually being maximizing the game window instead of changing the resolution), and it works in HWA, which means you can use the anti-aliasing while resizing option. That way, you don't have to worry so much about resolutions.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall CreatorUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygreenfrog View Post
    A simple solution: Design it at whatever resolution, then use the UltimateFullscreen object. It will let you maintain the aspect ratio in fullscreen (with the fullscreen actually being maximizing the game window instead of changing the resolution), and it works in HWA, which means you can use the anti-aliasing while resizing option. That way, you don't have to worry so much about resolutions.
    But are there some restrictions compared to "real" fullscreen? I can't imagine that it works the same way.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    But are there some restrictions compared to "real" fullscreen? I can't imagine that it works the same way.
    "Real" fullscreen in MMF2 is stupid, because it changes the resolution mode (something the laptop I'm using right now (and something some other computers probably have problems with) is stubborn about not working properly when it is changed below 640x480). If anything, what you call "real" fullscreen (changing the resolution mode) has more restrictions (in HWA, in fullscreen, you can't use most sub-apps). The only possible downside with "fake" (which is actually technically closer to real fullscreen than MMF2's "real" fullscreen) fullscreen is that you can't have the window maximized the normal way using it, but that isn't really much of a problem.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall CreatorUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Real" fullscreen in MMF2 is stupid, because it changes the resolution mode ...
    So far as I know this is the way all professional games doing fullscreen. And there must be a "non-stupid" reason.

Resize display to fill window size for fullscreen - that's a "stupid" solution and again more a MMF-like workarround.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

MMF2 have a big problem with custom resolutions AND dynamic framesize AND scale up frame to 2.0 size.
    Here my problem. I found no solution , but I need a good solution.. This is a very big problem for my current project...

Download:
    FullscreenSizeProblem.mfa

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    So far as I know this is the way all professional games doing fullscreen. And there must be a "non-stupid" reason.

Resize display to fill window size for fullscreen - that's a "stupid" solution and again more a MMF-like workarround.
    No, it isn't. Most professional games don't change your entire computer's resolution, just the game's own resolution. Resize display to fill window size is actually a good way to do fullscreen, and is closer to what professional games do.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it isn't. Most professional games don't change your entire computer's resolution, just the game's own resolution. Resize display to fill window size is actually a good way to do fullscreen, and is closer to what professional games do.
    I have to agree with Gistav, games change the screen resolution to enable full screen mode. When I play a game on my computer I try to run it at the resolution I run my monitor at, 1440 x 900. That way the game just loads and plays at the my display resolution. But for some games that run at a lower resolution, the screen blacks for a second or two as the resolution is set to that lower resolution and the same happens when the game is closed.

Running a game at screen resolution gives you the best image quality. If you stretch the game resolution to fit the screen, the quality of the display is hampered.

As for Jason's question, I still create games at 4:3 resolution for the simple reason that if it is played on a 4:3 monitor (and they are no longer the norm, but they still exist), then widescreen resolutions (16:10) go off the screen. At least 4:3 will work on a widescreen monitor but it will have black bars to the sides.

As for the games graphical elements, these won't need to be different sizes for different resolutions. It just means on higher resolutions the elements will be smaller on screen.

One solution would be to make your game at one resolution, I'd said widescreen, and then make a second EXE version of the same game at 4:3. All you would need to do is resave the 16:10 game as a new EXE, change the window resolution to a 4:3 resolution (say 1024 x 768), and just adjust where need be. You see, in a true 3D gaming environment, all you would have to do is change the camera settings that is looking at the 3D world. MMF is not 3D, it's 2D, and hence you don't have a 3D world you're looking at through a 3D camera, you've got a set screen display and have to design for every pixel so multiple aspect resolutions (4:3 and 16:10), means you have to design twice.

Best of luck with it, Jason!!
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Yeah paul I think going for widescreen is probably my best option I think. Most computers these days should have widescreen monitors... but it sounds like its not the perfect situation.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JasonDarby is pointing directly my next question, thanks to him, since with his question you answered to my questions all.
    Thank you too for sure!

Hmm, some questions still in my case..
    Actually, I want rework on an ancient game of me.
    This game was still using 640*480 Frame Size.

So. I followed your advices and then use the "UltimateScreen" object, great object by the way!

I choosed in Action of UltimateScreen object the manual SET 1920 * 1080 screen resolution. (It's MY PC Screen resolution in my first test).
    Hmm, now, when I pass to fullscreen mode VIA UltimateScreen actions I can see black borders on my pc screen gamefield.
    This mean it's a 4:3 resolution right?

Also, some graphics are really ugly when Fullscreen mode is activated.. So I think I must to redraw it Inside my Photo Graphics softwares right?
    Also, some levels load a background which ARE DIFFERENT and finally not the same Height/Width for each levels.. So.. I need dynamics resolution, rights? How I can do it?
    But How many MAX resolution I must have for my graphics ?

I know DPI of a PC screen is 90 max (while it's 300 in a print).

So.. I need some advices on that:

1) How I must/can set my Frame Size in MMF2 for I was not able to see black borders ?
    2) How I must do for game field is not ugly and display as HD graphics (with for sure the need of redraw all graphics).
    3) How I can have dynamics résolutions?
    4) DPI of my game graphics/backgrounds aren't so important ? Is it?
    5) In a manual settings of the pass to fullscreen mode in UltimateScreen object, I must write something of specials?

So huge thanks for any answers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast