User Tag List

Thread: Reducing .APK file size preseving image quality

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Reducing .APK file size preseving image quality

I made a level, a simple card game to test the Android Export Plugin. Hmmm the .Apk when it installs on android is about 5.MB. only frame lol.
    Now I reduced the color and I got 3.3 not bad. But when I download games from the Google App Store they are normally about 5 to 3M.

I guess the best way is to optimize the images in Photoshop.

What are you guys doing to reduce file size?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google play support games that are much bigger. Just curious, but what is the window size? How many graphics are there? Are you using alpha channels in the graphics?

One last thing, I advise that you read this guide. It was wrote for the iOS runtime, but it basically all applies to the Android runtime as well, so it is still a good idea to read it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows size is 800 x 1280. About 25 objects including
    a backdrop, counters and a couple of extensions.
    I imported pngs with alpha.

I'm using about 6 sounds from the default library.

file size is 5.27MB two Frames.

I was going to publish it in 256 colors but it just look terrible.
    Plus at 256 the file size only drops by 2.2MB.

I also noticed that under the android export there is an option
    for image compression. Again the file size doesn't drop by much
    and the image is somewhat okay.. not entirely terrible.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the images with alpha channels have any transparent pixels? If they don't, then you really should drop the alpha channel, as it takes up extra space. If they do, then you should consider dropping them anyway, to save space, especially if you are only using it for anti-aliasing. Alpha channels make images take up 33% more space than a normal image, and it makes the image compression setting reduce colors more on an object (image compression reduces colors more on objects with alpha channels than images without).

Also, larger images take up a lot more space. As a result, it is better to make your backgrounds (if they are a backdrop or active background object (not a quick backdrop)) an active object, shrink the image to half (or fourth if you really want to save room) size and then scale them up to be twice (or four times) as big. It won't have the full detail that the original image had, but it makes the image smaller, thus making it take up less space.

Both of these are mentioned here, which you really should read if you want to save space and make games run faster.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sparckman!

Something that i guess is pretty obvious but probably worth a mention in case it doesn't initially spring to mind (like it didn't with me) is to use smaller audio files in your project, like an mp3 rather than a wav.

This will slice your build size down if you were using a .wav.

Thanks,