Thread: Keyboards and Local Multiplayer

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Keyboards and Local Multiplayer

I was wondering about something...
    Say you make a game that requires a keyboard to play because it requires more buttons, but you want the option of local multiplayer (two or more players playing the same game in one screen).
    I know that MMF2 supports multiple joysticks and controllers in one computer, but can it support multiple keyboards in one computer?

*I don't know how to implement online multiplayer in my game, so I consider this a concern*

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm i don't know the answer to this question however i don't think many people would have multiple keyboards, let alone hook up multiple keyboards to a PC.
    I think you're better off designating certain keys for each player, what you could do is what alot of old DOS games did for multiplayer.
    eg. WASD movement for player 1, Arrow Keys movement for Player 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see how that could be implemented, but I imagine it will be rather annoying and uncomfortable for two people sharing one keyboard.
    The reason for asking is, in my game, there will be a menu in the GUI during gameplay like the common RTS which will run commands and such, and using a keyboard makes the menu more efficient; using anything but a keyboard, breaks the immersion of the player for a few seconds because of command searching.
    Now that I think about it, this problem can be walked around easily as long as you input the right keys or button commands; so two or more keyboards may not be the greatest strategy, but it's certainly not the only one.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can hook up as many Mouse or Keyboard devices as you want. But they all work as one, unless very tricky driver hacking. So you can plug 2 keyboard but if you want player 1 to use WSAD of keyboard 1 and player 2 to use WSAD of keyboard 2 it ain't gonna happen as for PC it is one keyboard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm seeing that this request is impossible to pull; makes sense though!
    What do you expect when you input two mice, two cursors?
    So, even though it's not possible to insert two players with two keyboards and one screen, how do you make a game have online multiplayer?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot Seat? WSAD, ARROWS, NUMPAD, MOUSE, Gamepad (4), Joystick (4)?

In theory only because most of the systems are able to accept only up to three key strokes at a time (no more - CTRL ALT DEL limitation, lol) So simplest would be by using gamepads/joysticks.

And yes it is possible to have more than one mouse cursor in real time.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Keyboards and Local Multiplayer

You can use Lacewing to make an online game : all you need is to host a Lacewing server.

BTW, does Lacewing eat a lot of memory and bandwidth ? I planned hosting a server on a Prehistorical computer, in my parents' office (~10Mb/s)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanotherpg View Post
    And yes it is possible to have more than one mouse cursor in real time.
    Well that shocked me a bit!
    I expected more of a struggle between two mice and one cursor...

I have no pressure using a joystick or controller nor do I plan to put any pressure on those who reply; I just thought it would be best to give the player the option to input one command with a push of a button rather than searching the command with the left and right keys through a small HUD menu because besides the Xbox Controller and perhaps newer versions of the JS or GP, the max number of buttons a typical joystick or gamepad supports is eight minus the directional pad, and they cannot support every command unless it's worked into properly.
    There are many ways to go around it, I just wanted to know if it's possible for two keyboards to support one computer which I later figured that it doesn't make much sense to apply such an option; but it still would've been more comforting to have that option available to the player.

As for the Lacewing suggestion, I'll look more into it.
    What I'm looking for is the most basic form of online play.
    Something that works well with online co-op, two player competition, and nothing else.