Thread: Contra 3 Horizontal Climbing

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contra 3 Horizontal Climbing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVYN6...ature=youtu.be

Hey guys, it's been a while real life and all...I am trying to reproduce the horizontal climbing seen in this game with MMF2 for my fan-game. I am trying to use 2 active objects so when the 1st object overlaps the 2nd object then the character sticks to the area and is able to move (climb) left or right. Can someone help me out? Please be specific as possible with me in the Event Editor so I may learn. I managed to get my vertical climbing working but for some reason the horizontal climbing is not working the same way...appreciate the help guys!

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snail View Post
    There isn't really a right answer here, unfortunately. It depends entirely on how your movement is programmed. Which part specifically do you need help with? The slopes are difficult to program no matter what you're using them for, but they should be functional regardless of their application (as in, a slope for platform movement should work equally well with your climbing movement after some minor changes).

Check the attached file. It certainly isn't perfect but I put it together quickly in case it could help you at all. There are plenty of ways to handle slopes, especially if you use fastloops, so check out some more examples. If it's more than just the slopes, maybe the attached file will help.

Let me know! Good luck,
    Snail

Attachment 10218
    Well, I am using the PMO object. I even figured out the vertical climbing. (http://community.clickteam.com/threads/78348-PMO-Climbing-Help)The screen capture there is basically how my set up is. For this example I just made a wall sensor that goes above the head of the character and then a wall sensor active object for the overhead areas that I want the character to be able to climb horizontally on. Thanks for you file, let me look at it and then post my updated progress. If the reference link helps you better dude, just put a updated example for me to check out! Thanks again!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use the additional velocity variables in the PMO to pull this off along with some work in making active objects that tell the player which way to move when pressing left or right.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be worth a try: Place invisible platforms(actives) underneath fake platforms(backdrop objects). Have the fake platforms(the ones he's supposed to hang off) above the player. When the player is walking on the invisible platforms, change the animation to make it look like the player is climbing/hanging horizontally.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corlen View Post
    You could use the additional velocity variables in the PMO to pull this off along with some work in making active objects that tell the player which way to move when pressing left or right.
    Could you elaborate more?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    This may be worth a try: Place invisible platforms(actives) underneath fake platforms(backdrop objects). Have the fake platforms(the ones he's supposed to hang off) above the player. When the player is walking on the invisible platforms, change the animation to make it look like the player is climbing/hanging horizontally.
    Sounds feasible, but maybe with another example. My fan-game is pretty in-depth and I don't want to mess anything up right now. If someone (or you) could make a simple mfa example that would be cool..

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additional velocity moves the object attached to the PMO in a speed you set. I used it for climbing ladders and such so I'm sure it could be done with what you're wanting.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this:

fakehorizcontraclimbing2.mfa

Edit: Originally I made this to 'test for jump through platform overlap' on the invisible platforms. It worked great, but ran into problems with sloped platforms(didn't have time to solve the problem). So I've changed it to 'test for obstacle overlap'. Seems to work OK - although it will need some tweaking.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Try this:

fakehorizcontraclimbing2.mfa

Edit: Originally I made this to 'test for jump through platform overlap' on the invisible platforms. It worked great, but ran into problems with sloped platforms(didn't have time to solve the problem). So I've changed it to 'test for obstacle overlap'. Seems to work OK - although it will need some tweaking.
    K, let me check it out. I made some progress yesterday, and got the character to stick on the area using PMO. Now, to see if I can get him to move left or right I am sure this will help!
    UPDATE:
    So, this is where I am at. I managed to get the character to stick to the overhead walls and climb left or right by assigning a alterable value of Horz Climb and changing it to 1 when my climb sensor overlaps my wall sensor. Then I made a separate group in the Event Editor just for the Horz Climbing that is activated when the Horz Climb alterable value equals to 1. Then in this group when "1" is activated, the additional Y velocity in the PMO is set to -300. The problem is now to set the commands so that the character is able to drop down and then the regular mode of the character returns to normal. Right now when he drops down he is bouncing and buggy. Trying to figure that out. Any suggestions of code is appreciated!

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE: 7/17/2013

What a pain in the @$$ this has been just for something as simple horizontal climbing! The trick is for it to work with the abilities that I have coded for the character. It is a little buggy yet I got it to work! The problem now is for the character to return to his "normal" state once he descends off a climbing area. I tried deactivating the climbing mode and switching it back to normal mode, but the character just seems to fall through the backdrop completely when he jumps from a climbing area. Any suggestions? Also, there is a tad of bounciness when the character sticks to the area that I would like to get rid of. If you guys see any error in the code or something I should change, please let me know! Thanks for everyone's input and help to get me this far.