User Tag List

Thread: "Do Not Install If Later Version is Installed" feature. No warning, files installed.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question "Do Not Install If Later Version is Installed" feature. No warning, files installed.

We are exploring the capabilities of Click Team Install Creator (CTIC) before we pull the trigger on buying a registered copy and I've noticed a few things. There are a couple of separate issues, so I will post them in separate threads so as not to kludge up each topic.

I like the capability of having users not inadvertently "downgrade" their software by running an installer for a previous version and the "do not install if a later version is installed" feature (mostly) works great for this.

However, when the installer detects a later version of the software being installed and skips installation of the file, the process appears to have completed successfully. Is there a way to provide the user with a message that says something like "aborting installation, software already present?"

Further, it would be great to be able to abort the entire installation if a later version of the executable being installed is found. For instance, I made several installers for testing purposes (e.g. software versions 1.2.2.3 and 1.5.5.6). Running the 1.5.5.6 installer completes successfully and installs the executable and the 1.5.5.6 help/read me text file. Then, running the 1.2.2.3 installer skips installing the older executable over top of the newer one, but it still installs the 1.2.2.3 read me file over top of the 1.5.5.6 read me file.

Is there a way to bail out of the installer entirely if a later version of ANY (or one particular) file is found?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    AFAIK there is no option for that in IC, even in the Pro version.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the chances of getting that included in a future build as a feature request? I think this would be a big benefit and would be a big draw to either upgrade from the free version to the licensed version or even the pro version, especially for developers who release frequent revisions and don't want confused users.

It seems like a fairly basic, rudimentary feature and, since you are already able to detect that a previous version is present (and abort the install of an older version), it seems trivial to include a MessageBox() popup to that effect.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The chances are low for a simple build, that will be rather for the next major version.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The chances are low for a simple build, that will be rather for the next major version.
    Can that be taken as a confirmation that such a feature will be included in the next major release? If so, for which version(s) and what would be a likely timeline for the release?

Also, do licensed users have access to updates/upgrades of the Pro and "regular" IC software when new versions are released?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this will be in the first build of the next version, and I can't give you a timeline (we've failed the last times we have tried to estimate it). Sorry...

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the the Pro vs Standard version? Would the functionality likely be added in both?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It would be added in the Pro version only I think.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDonald View Post
    Also, do licensed users have access to updates/upgrades of the Pro and "regular" IC software when new versions are released?
    ^^
    Are licensees stuck with the version available when they buy, or do they get access to upgrades. That is, if I buy the pro version now, will I get access to this feature once it is added or would I have to purchase again?