User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Duke3D style engine for MMF?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Interested

16 45.71%
  • Somewhat Interested

11 31.43%
  • Uninterested

6 17.14%
  • Very Uninterested

2 5.71%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Advanced Raycasting Extension?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is something I was able TO DO with Raycaster object with lots of trickery, and for me its must have. Why I would pay for 3D representation of my objects, if I can't interact with them in that 3D environment at the same time, not using its potential?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disthron View Post
    ...If there is enough interest I'll be looking to pay someone to develop the extension. It will need to be at least as easy to use as the first raycasting extension and part of the project will be to develop an engine that people can build there game directly on top of.
    Just curious, but how much interest is "enough interest"? Because, so far, everyone who has voted is at least somewhat interested, and 10 people have voted so far.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disthron View Post
    As for actually using the Build engine, there may still be legal issues to doing that. Even though Silverman has released it to the public
    I'm not sure if you can sell products made with it.
    Go to this page and search "license" on the page. To quote the part I found about the license:

I thought Build and Editart were owned by 3D Realms. Are these now in the public domain?
    Any version you find on a commercial CD is owned by the respective game company since it may have foreign code in it (such as modifications made by the game developer). The version in my "Ken-Build" game is 100% my code, and is therefore free for distribution as long as you include my license file with it.
    And another quote:

I want to release a stand-alone EXE using your code. Is it ok to do this according to the terms in your Build source code license?
    According to my license, I want to see the following 3 lines "somewhere" in the archive:

• // "Build Engine & Tools" Copyright (c) 1993-1997 Ken Silverman
      // Ken Silverman's official web site: "http://www.advsys.net/ken"
      // See the included license file "BUILDLIC.TXT" for license info.

If you have a credits screen, then you could stick these lines at the bottom of the screen (in small type if you want). Another good place might be on the text screen after you quit.
    Also, if you don't want to include BUILDLIC.TXT with your distribution, you should reword the 3rd line to say:
    // Original distribution & license info can be found from the above address
    So I think you're allowed to sell (or at least distribute) games made with it. You could probably contact the developer of the engine (he has his E-Mail address on this page (scroll to the bottom)) if you wanted to make sure, though. He seems to still be around, since he seems to have updated his website recently (2010 seems to be the latest time the build engine part of his website was updated, but this was updated just this year). Now that I've looked around his website, another potentially interesting thing to port to MMF2 as a 3D engine is this one.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanotherpg View Post
    It is something I was able TO DO with Raycaster object with lots of trickery, and for me its must have. Why I would pay for 3D representation of my objects, if I can't interact with them in that 3D environment at the same time, not using its potential?
    I see what you are saying. This is a good feature and if it isn't too hard, it will be on the to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by happygreenfrog View Post
    Just curious, but how much interest is "enough interest"? Because, so far, everyone who has voted is at least somewhat interested, and 10 people have voted so far.
    Well, I'd like to make enough money to at least cover the development for the extension. I'm pretty sure 10 people isn't enough though. Perhaps I should post in the other MMF2 forum? Even though it says technical help it seems to me the main MMF2 section.

You might be right about being able to sell the code that the MMF2 extension makes. I'll have to see if I can get in contact with him. However, it dose only say distribute and that is not necessarily the same as sell. Also, I'm not going to get hung up on porting the Build Engine. If the programmer who accepts the job thinks it will be better to start from scratch then that's what they should do.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should check with Kisguri as I said before CT was bidding for Build engine some time ago, and MattEsch was working on OpenGL implementation easier to use than Raycaster extension (it was presented during CC11).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, he was the first person I talked to actually. He said that the 3D extension that was talked about in the latest Click Disk was pretty fare off and it was not an entry level extension. This Raycaster would be in entry level extension. Much like the older one it would come with an engine that would cover most of the things people would be looking for in a raycaster so people could build there game on top of it. But could still start from scratch if they wanted.

I realize you were looking for the mouse selection mechanic but I don't think most people were looking for that. It would be cool to include it though. Could you post a demo MFA of how you did it? That would be really interesting to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purely math. Cursor X and Y is transferred into 2D space on arc and distance, allowing to be more precise, but it is not perfect at all. It detects edges and such but overlapping objects is pretty much no runner for it.

http://tm2fk.pl/sens3s/

The most irritating thing for me thought is that Raycaster ENGINE was closed source (WTF?) and I begged Kisguri many times to give me source as I couldn't stand crashes and some design flaws of it and couldn't get my head around how the original was done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purely math. Cursor X and Y is transferred into 2D space on arc and distance, allowing to be more precise, but it is not perfect at all. It detects edges and such but overlapping objects is pretty much no runner for it.

http://tm2fk.pl/sens3s/

The most irritating thing for me thought is that Raycaster ENGINE was closed source (WTF?) and I begged Kisguri many times to give me source as I couldn't stand crashes and some design flaws of it and couldn't get my head around how the original was done.
    Do you mean the one like the Clear Sky engine or Discaster (my edit of that). Because they were both open source as far as I could tell. Unless you mean making the code of the raycasting extension itself was available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean level editor source code, which was provided with the extension itself. Neither Level Editor nor Wolf3D tech demo were open source.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean level editor source code, which was provided with the extension itself. Neither Level Editor nor Wolf3D tech demo were open source.
    Well, the level editor was created using the raycasting extension. All the functions in the level editor are just inside the raycasting extension so you can make your own editor if you want.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast