User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Duke3D style engine for MMF?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Interested

16 45.71%
  • Somewhat Interested

11 31.43%
  • Uninterested

6 17.14%
  • Very Uninterested

2 5.71%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Raycasting Extension?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Technically, this kind of thread should be in the Open-Topic Community forum, however I agree the MMF2 Tech Support forum is by far the most visited and I believe this is a topic the entire community would like to discuss so I'll throw it in there now.

For my 2 cents, I'll be interested in following this and seeing where it leads to.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Disthron it was very simple to add new stuff just with 60-80 lines of beginning code: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...FWPWLLw#t=6136

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disthron View Post
    @Fanotherpg: The Stone Goose engine, if I'm not mistaken, took a lot longer than a few minutes to get to where it was. They were trying to do something similar to what I want to do. That is make an entry level 2.5D engine for MMF2. One that strikes a balance between graphical fidelity and ease of use. I would be open to doing it that way as well. But I'd have to discus it with perspective programmers to see what is best and what I'd be able to afford.
    Well, I've been working on a 3D engine myself. You might have already seen it. However, if someone else were to take up the job of making a 3D object, I'd gladly stop working on the engine until: 1. The new object is cancelled. 2. The new object is released and is a disappointment/not good enough for my needs. If the object is good (if it can handle full 3D), then I'd probably stop working on my engine. If someone else wanted to take up the job of finishing it themselves, then they can go ahead, I'd gladly let someone else finish the job (the main thing I'd like them to add is lighting, since I can't get it to work yet).

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygreenfrog View Post
    Well, I've been working on a 3D engine myself. You might have already seen it. However, if someone else were to take up the job of making a 3D object, I'd gladly stop working on the engine until: 1. The new object is cancelled. 2. The new object is released and is a disappointment/not good enough for my needs. If the object is good (if it can handle full 3D), then I'd probably stop working on my engine. If someone else wanted to take up the job of finishing it themselves, then they can go ahead, I'd gladly let someone else finish the job (the main thing I'd like them to add is lighting, since I can't get it to work yet).
    happygreenfrog. Keep working on your engine.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nivram View Post
    happygreenfrog. Keep working on your engine.

Marv
    I will. Thanks for the encouragement: Most people on ClickConverse are telling me that it's impractical, and basically saying that I should stop. Some people who have been on there actually know how to use OpenGL, and even they aren't encouraging me. However, your encouragement matters more than their discouragement to me, since you have more Click experience than the lot of us (including me). I'm taking a break for a few days, though, since it has been frustrating at times, unlike my other projects, which usually are just fine (if you want to know what said projects are, just let me know, since there is no way I'll tell you anything about them otherwise (I might not tell you about any of them anyway, but whatever)).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanotherpg View Post
    @Disthron it was very simple to add new stuff just with 60-80 lines of beginning code: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...FWPWLLw#t=6136
    Hmm... it it looked like it had a lot of potential but it also still looked very fiddly at the stage it was at in the video. Still I wish they had finished it. I've heard that the project has been cancelled.

@happygreenfrog: I'd be interested to see what engine you are working on. How fare along it is, ect. Maybe some screen shots?

Anyway I was initially looking to create a self contained Build/ID-Tech 1 style extension that when combined with a basic engine would be at least as easy to use as the current Raycasting extension. But like I said before, I'm open to other suggestions. The Stone Goose approach was good, but it wasn't finished and needed some polishing.

To that end, one of my larger concerns was how to draw the map from the editor onto the play field. Would it be feasible to have an active object that was a solid line, rotate and stretch it to the appropriate angle and length and then past it into the background. To form the walls of levels on the 2D play field? Or would we have to use something like the Overlay object?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disthron View Post
    Hmm... it it looked like it had a lot of potential but it also still looked very fiddly at the stage it was at in the video. Still I wish they had finished it. I've heard that the project has been cancelled.

@happygreenfrog: I'd be interested to see what engine you are working on. How fare along it is, ect. Maybe some screen shots?

Anyway I was initially looking to create a self contained Build/ID-Tech 1 style extension that when combined with a basic engine would be at least as easy to use as the current Raycasting extension. But like I said before, I'm open to other suggestions. The Stone Goose approach was good, but it wasn't finished and needed some polishing.

To that end, one of my larger concerns was how to draw the map from the editor onto the play field. Would it be feasible to have an active object that was a solid line, rotate and stretch it to the appropriate angle and length and then past it into the background. To form the walls of levels on the 2D play field? Or would we have to use something like the Overlay object?
    Screenshots? I've already uploaded an early version here: http://community.clickteam.com/threads/82144-An-early-look-at-my-OpenGL-engine?p=602851&viewfull=1#post602851

If you want, you can try adding lighting and other features. You'll need to use the XLua object to do it, though, which means you might not be able to do it if you don't understand OpenGL/XLua/LuaGL.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygreenfrog View Post
    Screenshots? I've already uploaded an early version here: http://community.clickteam.com/threads/82144-An-early-look-at-my-OpenGL-engine?p=602851&viewfull=1#post602851

If you want, you can try adding lighting and other features. You'll need to use the XLua object to do it, though, which means you might not be able to do it if you don't understand OpenGL/XLua/LuaGL.
    Hi, I tried to take a look at your example but couldn't open your file. I couldn't find the OpenGL-Base.mfx file it was asking for. Although I'm not sure it would have done much good since I don't have any experiance with OpenGL/Xlua or LuaGL. Witch is why, when it comes to this project I'll be paying someone else to make it for me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The download link for the OpenGL collection is in the same thread, if you'll scroll down some.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Dishtron Hayo and MattEsch stopped working on Fishhead 3D, but MattEsch carried on with Stone Goose family of objects (He released even SG level editor or sth like that). But I never heard that extension itself was stopped.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast