User Tag List

Thread: Styrbjorn's platform engine

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Styrbjorn's platform engine

I've been working the last week on a new engine for a platform game I am making, and I figured I could share the engine with anyone that's interested.

The engine features custom fastloop movement, utilizing a movement grid solution to make smooth animation and movements possible even with low resolutions.

In the rar file I have provided the mfa, an example demo exe (using the main char from my game), and the needed extensions (the Archive object and the Ultimate FullScreen). The folder "Data", containing "graphics.trq" has nothing to do with the extensions, so don't touch that (graphics.trq contains all background objects - they are loaded externally). The required stuff is in the "Required extensions" folder.

I put the documentation I have done so far into a "Documentation" folder as well. It contains some explanations of how certain variables are used.

Please tell me what you think, and if you find something that I can improve I would love to hear it! Enjoy

If you just try the exe, you move left and right with the arrow keys, and jump with Z.

(it's possible to click with the mouse to place the character anywhere, but that's just a debug feature that's not fully functional, so if you get stuck, just restart with F2)

Link to the engine: http://www.declared.se/Projekt/Styrb...m%20engine.rar

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing, Yima!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loglady View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Yima!
    No problem

Just out of interest. Do you have any kind of FPS drops when running this, compared to that other demo I posted?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a bug. If you're overlapping a wall, moving towards that wall and then jump the jumping animation won't play, it will play the standing on ground animation instead.

It feels nice though, and beautiful graphics / smooth animation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    I found a bug. If you're overlapping a wall, moving towards that wall and then jump the jumping animation won't play, it will play the standing on ground animation instead.

It feels nice though, and beautiful graphics / smooth animation!
    Thank you for pointing it out! Since posting the link, I have fixed that part, and I have also added wall sliding (with animation) and wall jumping. I also adjusted the jump height to make sure you can jump over obstacles that are two blocks high. I'll add dashing and double jumping as well soonish - both will (along with wall slide/wall jump) be power ups found in during the game.

I contemplated adding the possibility to climb ledges (climbing ladders will be possible), but figured that pretty much no fast action oriented 2D platformers that are good has that feature. Climbing ledges works in a bit slower platformers that aim for realistic movement (Prince of persia and Flashback comes to mind), but in faster games I believe such mechanics can be a hindrance. I tried imagining what such a mechanic would do to games like Mega man, Castlevania or Metroid, and came to the conclusion that it's probably not a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salamanderpants View Post
    Have you considered automatic ledge climbing? Like in some games if you jump to a platform and you don't quite make it, the player climbs up. It doesn't have to be slow.
    It's a possible solution. The risk with it is that the character might latch onto edges when you don't want it to happen, meaning you lose tempo or even "die" (or whatever happens when you get hit by something bad). The wall jumps in New Super Mario Bros U is a good example of this. They could have been implemented in a way that's much less intrusive, but now they happen at the most unfortunate of times, often resulting in frustrating deaths.

Another solution is to assign the "Up" button to pull yourself up ledges (with a quick animation, in that case). I still believe it would slow the gameplay down though. If the player faces a an obstacle that's to high to jump over, I'd rather redesign the obstacle so that it's possible to jump over it, than forcing the player to pull themselves up. This decision leans partly on the fact that I already have wall jumps and double jumps, making the character quite agile as it is anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Yima
    It drops ~6-10fps when walking or jumping (even stopped) but it's much less than the first demo. It is, for sure, not a big deal but the constant dropping is a bit annoing.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very smooth and I love the style too. thx for sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loglady View Post
    @Yima
    It drops ~6-10fps when walking or jumping (even stopped) but it's much less than the first demo. It is, for sure, not a big deal but the constant dropping is a bit annoing.
    I am curious, do you get those kinds of drops in other mmf2 games as well? I am wondering what might cause the drops. When standing still, there is very little happening fastloop wise. Do you have DirectX 9 or later installed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Yima

Yep!
    Everything is up-to-date. Just a fix for what I said about jumping: I meant jumping without going to left or right, not standing still. If stopped, the fps locks on 60fps.