Thread: A few inquiries before I purchase the Android Exporter

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few inquiries before I purchase the Android Exporter

Hey, y'all.

So I'm considering a purchase of the android exporter, but before I do, I want to lay down a couple of questions.
    • Firstly, how do I navigate about the huge variety in Android Screen sizes? With so many different aspect ratios, I have no clue how large to make the viewing window, and would worry that my game would be incompatible with a number of devices. My personal device that I would be testing on is a Samsung Galaxy S4, which has a significantly larger screen (1080 X 1920 Pixels) than most android devices.
    • I've heard that MMF2 projects that export to Android are restricted from using plugins. My current project relies heavily on the Datagrid object; is this considered a plugin, or does the restriction only apply to non-inbuilt extensions of MMF2?
    • My game relies on saving level content into the filesystem of the device it runs on. Is this pretty easy to do with the Android exporter?
    • I'm trying to iron it out, but as of now my game has about 15 frames of lag when the player traverses sloped surfaces. Would this lag be exaggerated in an Android build?
    • After I release my android version, would squeezing the project through the IOS exporter be pretty much painless?

On a side note, I do realize that there's a similar thread still on the front page of this forum, but my questions are pretty different, and that thread's been dead for ten days.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pikzilla View Post
    Hey, y'all.

So I'm considering a purchase of the android exporter, but before I do, I want to lay down a couple of questions.
    • Firstly, how do I navigate about the huge variety in Android Screen sizes? With so many different aspect ratios, I have no clue how large to make the viewing window, and would worry that my game would be incompatible with a number of devices. My personal device that I would be testing on is a Samsung Galaxy S4, which has a significantly larger screen (1080 X 1920 Pixels) than most android devices.
    • I've heard that MMF2 projects that export to Android are restricted from using plugins. My current project relies heavily on the Datagrid object; is this considered a plugin, or does the restriction only apply to non-inbuilt extensions of MMF2?
    • My game relies on saving level content into the filesystem of the device it runs on. Is this pretty easy to do with the Android exporter?
    • I'm trying to iron it out, but as of now my game has about 15 frames of lag when the player traverses sloped surfaces. Would this lag be exaggerated in an Android build?
    • After I release my android version, would squeezing the project through the IOS exporter be pretty much painless?

On a side note, I do realize that there's a similar thread still on the front page of this forum, but my questions are pretty different, and that thread's been dead for ten days.
    To handle multiple screen sizes, you can simply let the Android runtime scale the app.

By plugins, I'm sure you mean extensions. It's allowed to use some, but not all, of them. However, I don't think the datagrid object is one of them, though it could get ported in the future, and, if it gets requested enough, then I'm sure Clickteam will at least consider porting it.

For the third one, I'm not sure what you mean by "the filesystem of the device". Please elaborate.

For the fourth one, I'm not sure. It really depends on how you did it. As a general rule of thumb, if it lags on a PC, and it involves fastloops, it will probably be worse on Android.

As for porting it to iOS, it shouldn't be very hard at all, as a lot of the runtime-specific extensions (E.G. the accelerometer object (though that one has a bug that makes it slightly different on Android, though it might have already been fixed)) are in both the Android and iOS runtimes, though it really depends on the exact objects you are using.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, these are some really helpful answers.

So the resizing is automatic? That sounds convenient. With that in mind, what resolution would you recommend targeting, such that the game won't look too stretched or squeezed on some devices?

Also, sorry, my jargon was way off. In asking about the 'filesystem,' I was simply wondering if I could save a file into, say, the Documents directory (Which my application currently does, dpecifically through the Datagrid extension).

Ultimately, though, my game relies on the Datagrid object pretty fundamentally, so if it's not compatible, I may just be out of luck. How can I find out for sure, though? I did open up the .mfa in a demo version of MMF2 that included the Android exporter, and was able to run the frame without getting yelled at by a system prompt, but perhaps that doesn't count for much.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, these are some really helpful answers.

So the resizing is automatic? That sounds convenient. With that in mind, what resolution would you recommend targeting, such that the game won't look too stretched or squeezed on some devices?

Also, sorry, my jargon was way off. In asking about the 'filesystem,' I was simply wondering if I could save a file into, say, the Documents directory (Which my application currently does, dpecifically through the Datagrid extension).

Ultimately, though, my game relies on the Datagrid object pretty fundamentally, so if it's not compatible, I may just be out of luck. How can I find out for sure, though? I did open up the .mfa in a demo version of MMF2 that included the Android exporter, and was able to run the frame without getting yelled at by a system prompt, but perhaps that doesn't count for much.
    For the resizing, don't aim for a really high resolution, since that might make your app's text unreadable on small devices, unless you make the text huge.

For the saving, I don't think Android has a documents directory, though you might be able to save it into another folder.

As for the final one, MMF2 won't yell at you if you just run a frame with an incompatible object: You'll have to see if it lets you insert a new datagrid object to see for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh. So I added a Datagrid object to a frame with the Android exporter enabled, and MMF2 didn't get upset. Does that mean I'm in business?

Hey, and thanks in advance for helping me out with this; I'm excited to be able to finally release one of my projects on a legitimate marketplace, even if it's fated only to meet a sickly chirping of crickets on the Play store.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh. So I added a Datagrid object to a frame with the Android exporter enabled, and MMF2 didn't get upset. Does that mean I'm in business?

Hey, and thanks in advance for helping me out with this; I'm excited to be able to finally release one of my projects on a legitimate marketplace, even if it's fated only to meet a sickly chirping of crickets on the Play store.
    I don't know if the datagrid object will work, unfortunately, since I haven't really tested to see if it works in the Android runtime, and I'm busy watching the livestream for the ClickConvention right now, so...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Simple test.

Start a new project and set the runtime to Android. Then add a new object. The default list is all compatible objects with this runtime. You will get your answer as to weather the Extension is ported.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, there we go. It isn't compatible, so I guess I'll have to refactor my game. It's good to now know for sure, though.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out with this, everyone.