User Tag List

Thread: Need help with "Canabalt-Style Infinite Runner From Scratch"

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with "Canabalt-Style Infinite Runner From Scratch"

Hello,

I followed "http://hub.tutsplus.com/tutorials/build-a-canabalt-style-infinite-runner-from-scratch--gamedev-48" tutorial but i ran into a problem, if the speed goes faster than 33, blocks are started to be generated with realy small gaps in between.

http://i.imgur.com/fj2C5y7.jpg (here is a picture)

Can anyone help me fix it ?

Thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wii1mii View Post
    Hello,

I followed "http://hub.tutsplus.com/tutorials/build-a-canabalt-style-infinite-runner-from-scratch--gamedev-48" tutorial but i ran into a problem, if the speed goes faster than 33, blocks are started to be generated with realy small gaps in between.

http://i.imgur.com/fj2C5y7.jpg (here is a picture)

Can anyone help me fix it ?

Thanks
    If you use the graphics that the guy who made the tutorial provided, you'll find that this isn't a problem, since the platforms are wider than 32 pixels (have you seen the full thing yet?). You can simply make your platforms the same size, make the same hotspot change, and then you should be set.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But i suppose there should be a way to fix the code aswell right ?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wii1mii View Post
    But i suppose there should be a way to fix the code aswell right ?
    Nope, I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the way it's done, and, as a result, it will have the tiny gaps in it unless you make the change I mentioned (making the graphics wider).

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't looked at it but there DEFINITELY would be a way to fix the code... maybe you have to re-do it.. but there's always a way.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably aren't creating them frequently enough. I imagine you're creating on a timer, and then they move and for the start they're created frequently enough that they overlap and there is no gap. But as the game speeds up, each block is further and further away by the time the new one is created. Eventually there starts to be space between them. Either make your graphics wider or make the blocks more often.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    You probably aren't creating them frequently enough. I imagine you're creating on a timer, and then they move and for the start they're created frequently enough that they overlap and there is no gap. But as the game speeds up, each block is further and further away by the time the new one is created. Eventually there starts to be space between them. Either make your graphics wider or make the blocks more often.
    Actually, the tutorial uses the modulus function to create them without the gap. The problem is, however, that it doesn't perfectly create them without a gap at certain speeds (probably due to rounding). This doesn't happen after the graphics have been added due to the fact that the graphics for the platforms are bigger, and, as a result, you won't notice the gaps.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the graphics are bigger, then you have overlap and the solution remains the same. Either create more often, or use wider graphics. Either increases overlap/decreases gap.