User Tag List

Thread: Concerns about my project size

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concerns about my project size

I'm getting really worried about my project size: so far it's just four stages, with very few actives and a bunch of backdrops, and it's already 518KB (the .mfa) and slightly less than 1 MB (the .exe).
    Considering what i've done so far is barely the intro of a much bigger game, i was wondering if the size will somehow drop down once exported to iOS...
    thanks in advance to anyone who will answer

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it does, but you can also do things like this to make things smaller:

1. Color reduction on the images (don't do this when there are gradients in play)
    2. Clip the sounds to their absolute smallest size needed
    3. Reduce the sounds from stereo to mono or even mix down to a lower kHz
    4. Make sure you have objects marked as global when they are used in multiple places though I am under the impression that MMF checks for this during builds

Also remember that size on disk varies based on the block size of your storage medium so when dealing with KB it's often very misleading.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dogen View Post
    I'm getting really worried about my project size: so far it's just four stages, with very few actives and a bunch of backdrops, and it's already 518KB (the .mfa) and slightly less than 1 MB (the .exe).
    Considering what i've done so far is barely the intro of a much bigger game, i was wondering if the size will somehow drop down once exported to iOS...
    thanks in advance to anyone who will answer
    First off, how big are your objects and backdrops? Also, do any of them use alpha channels? These are both major factors in how big your game will be. For example, if you use an alpha channel for all of your objects, then all of your objects' graphics take around 33% more space, which could make a big difference. Also, usually, you won't need full, 100% detailed backdrop objects, so, by shrinking them to half size, making them active objects instead of backdrops, and scaling them to be twice as big at runtime, you will save a lot of space (each backdrop will take around half the space if you do it for all of them). This could also be done for other really large objects. I know that this article won't necessarily help you save you more space, but you should have a look at it anyway, since it will help you with getting good performance (which can be hard to do if you have several objects on screen at once): http://community.clickteam.com/threads/65324-Guide-to-faster-games-with-less-memory-usage

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you both for your quick answers.
    I'll definitely take your advices (i don't see a color reduction option tough - is this an iOS exporter feature only?), but as of now, i still don't have any sounds or big graphics, and that is why i was so worried. There is nothing in my project that can justify the size of the file, but since Keith said that it will get smaller once exported, i guess it's ok...