User Tag List

Thread: Video Integration - Processing/Handling

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Video Integration - Processing/Handling

I have two questions I was hoping an experience MMF developer could assist me with:

The first one: I developed a game using flash. It took me about a year to learn the flash environment/rules and such, but when my game project was complete, I wasn’t too happy with the way it came out. (Not my content mind you but the actual end-product). I found that the SWF files can be EASILY reverse-engineered, my source code and files can all be extracted with VERY little effort. I know this goes on a lot, but my content is VERY unique (like everyone else’s). Allow me to explain:

My game has a heavy use of video. I hired some SAG actors/actresses and recorded a lot of footage which in turn was to be edited/stitched together for my game (I cant say too much, but think of a live-action “choose your own adventure” sort of deal). It came out really nice, but there is a fatal flaw in flash – content isn’t really protected. I am terribly afraid of someone extracting my videos and repurposing them. I know this scenario goes on a lot, but I am under contract with these SAG actors to reasonably protect my content and, with flash, I (now) know this isn’t really a possibility.

I’ve heard that MMF content is pretty tough to extract. I’ve also heard that the encryption is pretty up there in the sense that your average user is going to greatly struggle with extracting content with MMF vs Flash. (For the record, I do understand that no matter what, if you put anything out on the net, it is vulnerable despite any kind of encryption you may have behind it—just trying to make it as difficult as possible). Can anyone confirm this? Perhaps even shed some light on this type of situation? I’d hate to learn a new program if the end result was going to be the same as flash.

My second question: MMF looks really promising, but I haven’t really seen anything that answers a couple of questions/concerns I have. Has anyone tried incorporating video with this program? Flash had me convert all my mpeg2 videos to FLV (as a result I suffered a slight loss in quality), but one thing I did love about flash was that it transitioned the videos very nicely. For example:

In my videos, I have the bad guy running up to the camera and attack it. (The camera viewpoint was to be the viewpoint of the player). The bad guy started from about 40 feet away, so the time it took him to reach the camera lens, I had an interface pop up during this time and depending on how you handled that interface, it would play out one of two videos: one where you dodged his attack and one where you took it on the chin. With flash, there were no “pauses” between the video transitions—it played out as if it were a single movie file (which I REALLY loved). I’ve tried a few other game creation programs and they handle this transition horribly (which is the lifeblood of my project)—the screen would stop for a split second while it loaded the next video, kinda ruined the whole experience as a combat-heavy game. Can anyone confirm if MMF does this as well? I’d hate to waste time and money if this were the case.

Wow long read. Thanks for your input. It’s really appreciated.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Superpie View Post
    I have two questions I was hoping an experience MMF developer could assist me with:

The first one: I developed a game using flash. It took me about a year to learn the flash environment/rules and such, but when my game project was complete, I wasn’t too happy with the way it came out. (Not my content mind you but the actual end-product). I found that the SWF files can be EASILY reverse-engineered, my source code and files can all be extracted with VERY little effort. I know this goes on a lot, but my content is VERY unique (like everyone else’s). Allow me to explain:

My game has a heavy use of video. I hired some SAG actors/actresses and recorded a lot of footage which in turn was to be edited/stitched together for my game (I cant say too much, but think of a live-action “choose your own adventure” sort of deal). It came out really nice, but there is a fatal flaw in flash – content isn’t really protected. I am terribly afraid of someone extracting my videos and repurposing them. I know this scenario goes on a lot, but I am under contract with these SAG actors to reasonably protect my content and, with flash, I (now) know this isn’t really a possibility.

I’ve heard that MMF content is pretty tough to extract. I’ve also heard that the encryption is pretty up there in the sense that your average user is going to greatly struggle with extracting content with MMF vs Flash. (For the record, I do understand that no matter what, if you put anything out on the net, it is vulnerable despite any kind of encryption you may have behind it—just trying to make it as difficult as possible). Can anyone confirm this? Perhaps even shed some light on this type of situation? I’d hate to learn a new program if the end result was going to be the same as flash.

My second question: MMF looks really promising, but I haven’t really seen anything that answers a couple of questions/concerns I have. Has anyone tried incorporating video with this program? Flash had me convert all my mpeg2 videos to FLV (as a result I suffered a slight loss in quality), but one thing I did love about flash was that it transitioned the videos very nicely. For example:

In my videos, I have the bad guy running up to the camera and attack it. (The camera viewpoint was to be the viewpoint of the player). The bad guy started from about 40 feet away, so the time it took him to reach the camera lens, I had an interface pop up during this time and depending on how you handled that interface, it would play out one of two videos: one where you dodged his attack and one where you took it on the chin. With flash, there were no “pauses” between the video transitions—it played out as if it were a single movie file (which I REALLY loved). I’ve tried a few other game creation programs and they handle this transition horribly (which is the lifeblood of my project)—the screen would stop for a split second while it loaded the next video, kinda ruined the whole experience as a combat-heavy game. Can anyone confirm if MMF does this as well? I’d hate to waste time and money if this were the case.

Wow long read. Thanks for your input. It’s really appreciated.
    I think that Flash in MMF2 supports videos, but it will require that they are FLV files. Also, I, unfortunately, haven't used the video objects much (I haven't even touched the one that works in Flash), so I don't know how well it will work. I can give it a try, though, but I'm not sure if I have any way to make FLV files, so I might be stuck using the Windows-only ones (which might have a difference in whether or not they transition well).

Also, the Flash runtime in MMF2 is a separate purchase. However, if you are making a standard Windows game, then MMF2/MMF2DEV (either one) should be enough.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I've done a little more experimenting, and here is what I've found:

First off, if you want to use a file format other than FLV in the flash runtime, you can use this MMF2 object: http://community.clickteam.com/threads/64340-Advanced-Video-Player

EDIT: You also might be able to use this: http://community.clickteam.com/threads/62343-Beta-Flash-Images-Plus

Second, though there is a minimal pause between videos (probably while it loads the video into the memory), there is also a hilariously simple work-around to fix it. It probably even works in the demo version of MMF2 (since it doesn't use any 3rd-party extensions). I can put a ZIP file containing a MFA file (basically the source code for your MMF2 games/applications) and an EXE file (a compiled program) that demonstrates it.