Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to make a 2.5D engine?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to make a 2.5D engine?

I've tried to figure this out from some examples and tutorials such as redhades' isometric engine. But I'm at a loss admittedly.

I want to be able to have a full platforming experience like a 2D platformer for the most part but that extra depth into the background/foreground. I also want to put in that streets of rage or double dragon (whatever analogy works) fighting engine as well, so things flying through the air and all that was another factor.

I looked at some isometric engine tutorials which were the closest thing I could find but they also weren't what I was after and honestly quite over my head in the math. I tried thinking of an associated array for the level sort of mapping everything out in x, y and z coordinates but couldn't figure out how to handle say placing the entire level and the background into that array or how to handle collisions. Would anyone be willing to help with thinking on how this engine would be made? I appreciate any advice offered.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahh streets of rage..

Exploring how an array functions and making simple topdown collisions will help you on the way. Pardon me if you know this already, in that case it would be enlightening to render a small 2.5 world grid (just a few platforms). Usually ideas come with success of such projects.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend:

1. giving all objects a "z" depth coordinate and tracking those

2. using coordinate collision detection instead of the built in collision system. (checking if the coordinates of a custom collision box are inside the coordinates of another custom collision box and then treating that as collsion)

It's possible. It's just very complicated. I'm not sure anyone has an example of this or would be willing to create one as it is indeed a very difficult task to accomplish.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very good art and clever misdirection

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casleziro View Post
    You, sir, aren't helping. And this isn't the first time:

let me know when you finish your rogue legacy ripoff
    have you even looked at the options that the lacewing server and clients do/provide? if you can't figure out what to do from there then im sorry you shouldn't be making an online game.
    Anyway, on topic, this might be able to help (though I'm not sure): http://community.clickteam.com/threads/51310-Ultimate-How-To-Real-3D-Isometric-Movement?highlight=isometric

Another example I found: http://community.clickteam.com/threads/62131-Example-of-Isometric-emulating-Z-Axis?highlight=isometric

If you search "isometric" in the file archive, then there are lots of results. You can probably find an example to suit your needs there if one that suits your needs exists.

Clicker Fusion 2.5iOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is cool but probably not what you're looking for:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vv17lejYg9c

Uses "voxels" - there's an example around here somewhere.

You can also test collisions with array by testing the player's grid coordinates against the array, but this assumes you already have the level loaded in. I think it's possible to have a z value with this and it may not be as hard as Konidias suggests. I can get back to you on this...

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygreenfrog View Post
    You, sir, aren't helping.
    its the truth though. most 2.5d is just good art and clever coding that makes it appear to be 3d :P

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the responses. They are all helpful in some way or another. At the moment I have a z-axis sorta lined out and now I'm just looking at static engines for a good idea on how to handle gravity. But for actually running around a level that's not just a flat plane, that's really what has me stumped.

SolarB: I keep ending up with that same idea, basically having all the real nitty gritty in a large array holding the positions of objects and the obstacles. At best I can think of a loop that runs at the start that checks each point on the actual level, returning a sort of yes or no and tossing it into the appropriate spot in the array. But that sounds like it'd suck up a lot of computer power. I also don't know how to handle something moving about as it would need to be tracked in the array. If you are willing to share more of your thoughts I would love to bounce more ideas.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its the truth though. most 2.5d is just good art and clever coding that makes it appear to be 3d :P
    Oh, I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you were responding to this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tompa View Post
    ahh streets of rage..

Exploring how an array functions and making simple topdown collisions will help you on the way. Pardon me if you know this already, in that case it would be enlightening to render a small 2.5 world grid (just a few platforms). Usually ideas come with success of such projects.

Anyway, in that case, that is kinda what Isometric 3D is, it's fake 3D (though we kinda already knew that), so I guess it was accurate. Sorry about that.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow. casleziro actually made a good point, happy green frog - just get on with whatever you're doing! you constantly spam this forum. casleziro said
    which is EXACTLY what i did with Pacz, which is 2.5D

is doesnt have to be true iso to be considered 2.5D if you are struggling with the iso concepts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast