User Tag List

Thread: XML/Other Data structure?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XML/Other Data structure?

Hi everyone, so i'm an on and off "clicker"
    My latest idea is to make a tide chart application, basically user can choose the date, location and the tide height/times will be displayed accordingly.
    I have two ways which i have thought of going about this, one way i've completed, is to scrape the governments tide website for the data for the specified date. It works but uses data, slow etc
    My other idea, is to manually create a data file (very time consuming and tedious data entry, though better end result) containing all the information that can be accessed locally (doesn't require internet connection, fast, new tide table can be downloaded once off every year)

Data that needs to be stored is

Month
    ---> Day
    ---------->Tide 1: (Time, Height, High or Low)
    ---------->Tide 2: (Time, Height, High or Low)
    ---------->Tide 3: (Time, Height, High or Low)
    ---------->Tide 4: (Time, Height, High or Low)

I was thinking an INI, as thats what i'm used to/comfortable with, though it seems cumbersome and there must be a better alternative. Such as XML, or another way?

As INI's the structure is really
    Group
    --->Item
    ------->String/Value

If i went the INI route, i'd need to do something along the lines of:
    [January]
    ---->01tide1time
    ---------> 05:36
    ---->01tide1height
    ---------> 1.24metres
    ---->01tide1h/l
    --------->High
    ---->01tide2time
    ---------> 11:45
    ---->01tide2height
    ---------> 0.25 metres
    ---->01tide2h/l
    --------->Low

Which is a really, really painstaking process. Is there a way to access data in another structure, such as structured, tree like manner. eg:
    <January>
    <01>
    <tidetime>05:36</tidetime><tideheight>1.24 metres</tideheight><tide>high</tide>
    <tidetime>11:45</tidetime><tideheight>0.25 metres</tideheight><tide>low</tide>
    </01>
    </January>

I know theres an XML parser object for MMF2 which sounds like it would work perfectly, though its not ported to Android.
    Any help would be great, thanks alot sorry about the wall of text!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I wonder if the list object would help you with this. It may be better if you do end up deciding to enter a lot of the data manually. I like to use the ini and list objects in my projects depending on what I'm doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't really think about using the list, i suppose i could manipulate some way, ill try and investigate a bit more into it. Wish with Ini's you could have limitless hierarchical levels.
    Anyone have any other suggestions/ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All problems have been solved

Array is perfect for it. Was always put off from Arrays as for some reason it seemed complicated compared to an INI.
    Can use the month in X co-ord, Day in Y co-ord and store each tide in the Z co-ord. and all the info for each tide seperated with delimeters.

I've populated a tide database array using the scraping method to make it for me. So glad i didn't have to enter the times and heights for 4 tides, 365 times