User Tag List

Thread: Performance drop with Nexus 7 (2013)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Performance drop with Nexus 7 (2013)

Hi

I've just tested one of my projects on the new Nexus 7 (2013) and compared it to the original Nexus 7. On the new N7 there is now significant slowdown in the scrolling of the level (it's a platformer) that doesn't occur on the old N7. I have tried building it with some different settings: With OpenGL ES 1.1 compared to 2.0. With or without "Require GPU". Different target versions of Android. I also tested it on the first Samsung Galaxy S and even though the game doesn't really play well on this device, there were still less scrolling problems on this "ancient" device!

I know it's a pretty new device so I can understand if noone has had the chance to test on it yet. But if anyone has any ideas please go ahead!

-Andy

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    which build api are you using to build?

is nexus 7, android 4.3?

try build api 18 and both openGL version to see
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am running API 17 and will try upgrading to 18 to see if that does the trick. Thanks FVivolo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've now tried it with API 18 and Android 4.3 and OpenGL 2.0 (and other combinations) and performance is a tiny bit better but not silky smooth as on the old Nexus 7 unfortunately. So perhaps there's something wrong with my game or possibly the Android runtime on the new Nexus 7?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the new Nexus 7 and I have no problem with the exporter, runs like my Galaxy S3. The Open GL 2.0 is half as fast as the 1.0.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not familiar with Nexus 7, but looking at good-old Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Nexus
    The screen resolution is bigger, so more memory to move around when scrolling, which might explain it? They also have very different graphics cards:

Old Nexus 7: 1280 x 800 pixels, twelve-core Nvidia ULP GeForce @ 416 MHz
    Nexus 7 (2013): 1920 x 1200 pixels, Adreno 320 @ 400 MHz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koji_Kabuto View Post
    I have the new Nexus 7 and I have no problem with the exporter, runs like my Galaxy S3. The Open GL 2.0 is half as fast as the 1.0.
    Good to hear. There's definite better perfromance from Open GL 2.0 on my end too. Just not good enough in the game I'm having problems with unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by AyreGuitar View Post
    Not familiar with Nexus 7, but looking at good-old Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Nexus
    The screen resolution is bigger, so more memory to move around when scrolling, which might explain it? They also have very different graphics cards:

Old Nexus 7: 1280 x 800 pixels, twelve-core Nvidia ULP GeForce @ 416 MHz
    Nexus 7 (2013): 1920 x 1200 pixels, Adreno 320 @ 400 MHz
    Yes this could be of course. It's still strange though that my old Galaxy phone hasn't got the scrolling problems (that's only a 800x400 display but less RAM, clock speed etc.) I think.