User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there a 'Frame Complexity' limit?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a 'Frame Complexity' limit?

So when a vital frame in a game I'm making started going haywire out of nowhere in weird ways, it took me more than a day of relentless testing and switching around to figure out what was causing it. So far as I can tell, this is the culprit:

The frame just got too complicated.

I was able to conclude this once and for all by making an active and just giving it dozens of self-contained Value events that don't influence anything, yet STILL its presence causes the frame to mess up.

So yeah, I guess there's just too much going on in this frame. Anything I can do to get around it?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is really hard to say, we need more information.
    What kind of events you have set up and how is the frame messed up etc.
    I have noticed this as well when I created my player animations, there are quite a lot of conditions and it was pain in the ass to make them all work without interfacing other events.

But I think there should be no limitations, you just need to organize your code very well and if there is a bug, there is a bug also in code.

- Jesse

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be exceeding the object limit for the frame. The default is 500. Try setting it to 2000 and see if that fixes anything.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some instances where your game just won't do what it's supposed to and there's really no good answer why that is. Try making sure your actives have "destroy if too far from frame" unchecked. Sometimes that helps. Also I've seen that if an active that now suddenly doesn't work that's outside the frame area is overlapping even a tiny bit of the frame it suddenly works again.

MMF is awesome, but it can act strangely on occasion. I still remember the weird errors I had where it was confusing values for 2 arrays I had going at once. Sheesh-KaBob!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J3sseM View Post
    What kind of events you have set up and how is the frame messed up etc.
    It's really complicated, but basically:

It's an RPG battle screen, with the character, the enemies, and the dozens of objects and assets backing it all.

Normally, you just begin the battle by selecting your attacks when the frame begins.

However the glitch, is that your character just immediately jumps into his victory position, and the game acts like you won as soon as the battle begins! Even though the enemies are still there. What's more, the 9 and 0 buttons are normally used to change the volume, but now it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by J3sseM View Post
    But I think there should be no limitations, you just need to organize your code very well and if there is a bug, there is a bug also in code.
    Yeah, I am almost positive that it's simply a result of too many events.

Quote Originally Posted by Snail View Post
    The short answer is no. The longer answer depends on what exactly you're doing and how you're defining things like "complexity" and "complicated." How many objects are in your frame? How many events? Are the objects doing anything out of the ordinary?
    Good question. I'll add them up ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Snail View Post
    Are you doing some unusual event editor practices?
    Well, I do 98% of my events within the Active objects themselves, instead of in the main frame. Could that be considered 'unusual'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The frame has 126 objects. Other frames in my game have more.

The main frame has 76 events.

All of the events within Objects themselves adds up to: 12635.

So together, it's about 12711.

I made an extra object and filled it with events that don't don't affect anything outside of itself. In fact, I then even filled it mostly with events that won't even happen. YET, if I add too many, it causes the frame to automatically declare me victorious the moment I load.

In fact, the exact number of events I am allowed to put in this object is 69. If I put a 70th in there, the frame glitches up. Remove it, and it works fine.

And 12711 plus 69 is 12800.

So weird, because last time I had a big problem with the number 5779. Oh well.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using behaviors, by any chance? "Putting events in objects" sounds like behaviors to me, though I'm not sure if that is what you meant. Also, do you have any global events or qualifiers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Behaviors; that's what I'm using. Like I said, my game is 97% behaviors.

And yes, I have 97 Global Values, and 24 Global Strings (30% of them aren't used for anything.) I have 89 Global Events.

I use about 3 or 4 global qualifiers in the battle plane, and 6 or 7 in the whole game in total.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, then stop using behaviors, they can be buggy at times, which might explain all of your problems. Behaviors are only useful if you plan on re-using the code in another frame. Also, qualifiers should NOT be used in behaviors or global events, EVER. It will not let you use qualifiers in global events or behaviors in newer updates in MMF2, since they are horrendously buggy when used together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Behaviors actually don't even ALLOW for Qualifiers. Click Team would really be awesome if the next MMF allowed for that; it would make programming in this software so much easier.

And actually, if I have 12801 events, even if that last event is in the regular frame, it still causes all these problems to occur, just the same, so I don't think it's my fetish for Behaviors that's causing it. Nontheless, I'll experiment around some more with that in mind. Thank you~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast