User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Edit Box: Ignore capitalization and punctuation?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit Box: Ignore capitalization and punctuation?

Hi,
    I am making a game that requires that players type in a correct answer into an edit box. Unfortunately, correct answers are marked wrong if they are not entirely in the right case (uppercase or lowercase) or if they have an extra space at the end of the last word etc. Is there a way to make the game ignore capitalization and punctuation for answers typed into an edit box? Thanks,
    Brett

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The edit box object has a property that will force everything to be uppercase or lowercase. I think you can also just convert everything to uppercase in the expression editor, though I'm not sure about that. As for ignoring punctuation, I don't know how easy that would be, and I don't know any ways to do it off of the top of my head.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi happygreenfrog,
    I already have the property set to force everything to be lowercase, but in the iOS version of the game it automatically capitalizes the first letter, even though this property is set. I am wondering if this property does not work in iOS? Also, are there any ideas on ignoring spaces and punctuation? Thanks,

Brett

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignoring spaces is a bad idea, since then typing like this:
    HIIMHAPPYGREENFROGWHOAREYOUILIKETYPINGTHISISVERYCO NFUSINGANDSTRANGETYPETYPETYPETYPETYPETYPETYPETYPEI SNTITCONFUSINGRIGHTRIGHTRIGHT

And still get it right. Instead, you should program it to detect double/triple spaces, and remove them. I don't exactly have access to MMF2 right now, so I can't really make an example on how to do that (and, even if I did, I haven't done such a thing before).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brett
    Also, are there any ideas on ignoring spaces and punctuation?
    Hello, I have a suggestion for clearing any excess spaces or punctuation at the end when the user hits the button to continue. You can add a bit extra by comparing two general values to check for a specific character from the text box at the end. It's built-in to the expression editor, the Right$ button can filter the character out, here's how it works:

Condition: When button clicked.
    --> Compare two general values (under Special conditions)
    Right$(Edittext$( "Edit Box" ), 1) = " "

Right$ meaning the right part of the string. 1 being the last character. " " being the space.
    So in this case: "Hello" is o. "Computer_" is the space.

Action: Set text box "Edit Box"
    Left$( Edittext$( "Edit Box" ), Len( Edittext$( "Edit Box" )-1 ) )
    This would set the same text box but without the last character if it meets the condition. The length of the string minus the last character (being the space)

Of course, if you want to check for punctuation at the end, you'll need to repeat this process, but with "!" "." "," and such, but this does work, and should have no problems with iOS.

Possibly, if it's available for iOS, it's even easier to use an extension called Regular Expressions Object, which can input the string, check for "!" and replace with "" (nothing)

I hope this answers your question

Quote Originally Posted by brett
    I already have the property set to force everything to be lowercase
    For this, all I can suggest is having a second hidden textbox and when the user is finished typing, a copy of what the user has typed will be set in the hidden textbox (with the lowercase option set) ... It might work or it might end up with the same result.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If needed, I have an extension that removes leading and trailing spaces from an a word.

Meaning if you wanted to have "Hello Good Sire" as the correct answer, and the user types " Hello Good Sire ", the answer would be correct. The changed expression would equal "Hello Good Sire" This same extension can also ignore punctuation marks, numbers, vowels, consonants, etc within a phrase.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    that sounds like a cool extension ProdigyX

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ProdigyX,
    That sounds great. Also, does it work with all runtimes? (iOS, Flash, and Android) Where can I get it? Thanks,
    Brett

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi lh37,
    I am trying your method, but I'm unable to get the action to work. I get an error message in the expression editor that says "mixed numbers and strings." Do you experience this? Am I missing something? Thanks,
    brett

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Brett,

At the moment, this extension is windows only. If you need it in a different runtime, I'll do my best get it ported to said runtime. Is there one you have in mind specifically?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast