User Tag List

Thread: Oculus Rift

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2iOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Oculus Rift

Has Clickteam received a developer build of the Oculus Rift? Have they said if they're interested in making it an exporter? It looks like the future of gaming to me!

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off I'm going to have to disagree with you. I don't see this becoming the 'future of gaming' for a loooooooooong time. Most people who have used the rift can only do so for short periods due to motion sickness. Try getting someone who plays CoD for hours on end to take a break ever X minutes and I'd put my money on that they would rather just not use it.

Second, Clickteam's main focus seems to be on 2D application and game development. Sure there are some 3D extensions in the works but I wouldn't think that its enough to warrant trying to get the Rift configured for it, as there are already far better tools for 3d environments at this time.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I don't think that this is the right market for it. /shrug

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, its applications are better suited to 3D and Clickteam has reiterated many times that their focus is 2D. They're not trying to compete with Unity. Oculus Rift support might be something they stick into MMF if it becomes a hugely successful product, but at the moment it's a risky investment to provide support for an accessory which hasn't even entered the mainstream yet, and may not for some time.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, perhaps the main reason the product isn't mainstream yet is the fact that only dev kits are available (last time I checked, anyway), which are basically prototypes of it. They have specifically stated that the dev kits are basically only for developers.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a few goes on a dev kit the other week, very interesting tech.

As others have said, i don't think 2d style games will be the main focus of the rift but it could work in a 3d style sense (like a 3ds).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a pleasure to test it personally and it it a great tech which works.

@Chaos I agree that there was issue for some players due to motion sickness - EVEN CEO OF OR! - but they claim to resolve it in their latest prototype - so their CEO can play long sessions.

http://allthingsd.com/20131017/oculu...play-ceo-says/

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i played half life 2 with it and nearly threw up. they need to get that sorted!!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, clickteam fusion 2.5 is have his focus on the 2d video games... but what about a 2d game with the perspective extension?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The Oculus Rift is the most awesome thing I've never seen!"
    -99% of gamers

I saw that quote the other day, and thought it was pretty funny. Anyway, I bought the devkit (version 1) a while back. I was extremely disappointed with it and promptly got rid of it on ebay.

I'm a passionate 3Dvision user, and was very excited about the Rift. But almost everything about the devkit was subpar compared to 3Dvision. Playing in 3D is incredible. The immersion and aesthetic appeal is much higher than in non-stereoscopic games. And yes, 2D games can look great in 3D too - Rayman Origins is a long-time favourite in the 3Dvision community (the sprites remain flat but the parallax effect gives them a pleasant layered pop-up-book quality)!

So I'm certain that VR is indeed the future of gaming, because VR is basically just 3D + headtracking.

But the devkit of the Oculus Rift that I tried has serious issues. Personally, I had absolutely no motion sickness at all. I guess I'm lucky. But it still has loads of other problems. The resolution is incredibly, incredibly blocky. Like, I'm talking 1991 levels of blockiness, minus the retro appeal. It's wired, so you can't even really turn around. There's a 'screen door' effect where you can see large black gaps between each pixel, which is very distracting and can even make things illegible at close distances. It's laggy (it'll be even more laggy once it's wireless), and it's blurry whenever you move. Some of these problems have since been addressed by the devkit #2, but there's still a long way to go.

Also, there are numerous design challenges to be solved on the game dev side, because most modern-day games move too fast for VR, and most games designed for mouse or gamepad just don't play well in VR (in the games I tried my mouse/gamepad and my head were basically in opposition instead of in harmony). Ideally, new motion-based peripherals will need to be invented, and games and even entire genres will need to be designed from the ground up.

I'm certain of two things.

Firstly, VR gaming is the future. The potential is there, the funding dollars are there, and - at least for now - the public goodwill is there.

Secondly, this future is a long, long, time from now. It will take a long time for the technology to come up to speed. It will take a long time for game design to evolve to meet the demands of VR. And it will take even longer for AAA game developers to get on board with these new types of games. I might be wrong, but I don't expect any real 'VR revolution' to happen until the 2020s. Sure, the commercial version of the Rift will come out before then, but games that truly utilise it well will be few and far between, and almost all of those will be niche indie games. Plenty of gamers will buy one, but a month later 90% of those units will be gathering dust in the garage.

Clickteam would do well to look into supporting the Oculus Rift, especially since Clickteam is well positioned to serve niche game devs. But I don't think there's any need to hurry, and I hope they'll look into supporting 3Dvision first.

Clicker Fusion 2.5iOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Entertaining one from gizmodo: http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/this-...cul-1530587594

Personally I won't be satisfied until we get the holo-bands from Caprica.