User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very serious problem. Going from 60 to 15 fps!?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Very serious problem. Going from 60 to 15 fps!?

I have always had some problems with my games, getting complaints of it running slow on some portals. I never realised how bad it was until now though. I have a new game I am about to release. I have a video here where you can see the game running at 60fps on my site. On newgrounds though its at 15fps!?
    Its totally unplayable like this, worthless. What could cause this? I have tried to remove all extensions, but still no luck..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-19_010120.wmv

(If you can't see the video through the link, right click on it and pick "save as")

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it runs on your site fine, removing extensions probably won't help. It sounds like it might be something on Newgrounds' end.

Do you have a link we could test?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any ads on those sites, by any chance? They could be causing the lag if they are using flash as well.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made an example just for the performance.
    Here is a link to it on my site: http://www.varagtp.com/SwfTests/10.html
    Here on Newgrounds: http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/568653/preview

On my fast computer I get 60fps on my site. On newgrounds the fps goes down slow and gets stable around 15fps. What is that 400% slower?
    On my laptop I get about 30fps on my site. On newgrounds about 5-6fps.

I dont see any ads running on the test site. And the bigger problem is that Newgrounds is not the only site I have seen this problem on with my games. And even though some sites, for example Kongregate seem to handle it faster I doubt it is a site issue, because then there would be other regular flash games with this problem. For example I tested the most performance heavy flash game I could find Road of the Dead. That ran about the same on both Kongregate and Newgrounds. I could not find any other game that lagged, even on my laptop. (My other mmf made flash games lag on newgrounds though, but run better on kongregate). If this was a problem across other regular flash games then Road of the Dead would be unplayable on Newgrounds with the same logic (60 vs 15fps), because it was even a bit slow for me on Kongregate.

It must be something in mmf if I can run my game at stable 60fps on my site and it goes down to 15fps on that site (and others). If that was the case with all games running slower on those sites then any game that lagged the slightest on a site would go down to a crawl if they lose (400%?) performance.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, I get 30fps on both examples, but I can immediately see an alpha issue on the Newgrounds link. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I tested using Chrome 28.0.1500.72 and Firefox 20.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On your site I get up to 29 FPS. On Newgrounds it peaks at 15 FPS and then every few seconds drops by one FPS until it gets to 1 FPS where it alternates between 1 FPS and 2 FPS. I notice the same alpha problem as Stephen on Newgrounds.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also get the alpha problems, but that is not my main concern. Stephen, that is strange you get the same on both, how long did you stay on the newgrounds page? It seems the fps starts a bit higher and then drops, like LB said it went from 15 to 2.

I am really worried about this. How are you going to develop a game for flash and test it if you cant rely on the fps you get? Optimizing to get 60fps in my game only to hit only 15fps and making it unplayable is really horryfing. I first noticed this problem when I was now going to upload my new game to my sponsor, on his site the game suddenly is unplayable due to this bad fps. So it seems to be SOME pages. I do think it is mmf related though and some clash between something between the mmf made swf and some sites? If this was a common flash games problem then many games would have this problem where they are unplayable on some sites and run perfect on others. I also tried to find posts about this, but found none.
    And newgrounds is one of the most important sites if you want to get featured and have your game spread.

I mean if the drop was about 5fps i could get it, but from 60 to 15! That is insane. It cripples the whole game.

Do anyone have any theory what could cause it? The only thing I can think of is that when i tried to open two windows side by side in the same browser of my game the fps went from 60 to be cut in half in both of them. So maybe its something about it cant take other flash content? I went into newgrounds and tried to do the same with other games, i opened 4 windows in the same browser and having them side by side but i could see no fps drop from this. Its just a theory though..

If it is the alpha issue, any idea what could be wrong?

I have really no idea

Clicker

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a talk with "LongAnimals". It is one of the absolute biggest and most successful developers in the flash game market. http://www.longanimalsgames.com/game...&source=topNav
    It really sounds like this is something mmf related:

[12:27:14] Julian Scott: 8fps on newgrounds
    [12:27:30] Julian Scott: 60 on yours
    [12:27:39] Daniel Hjelm: yes, is that normal.. (worry)
    [12:27:43] Julian Scott: but they're different
    [12:27:47] Julian Scott: is this stage3d?
    [12:27:58] Daniel Hjelm: yes i see alpha problems on newgrounds. but its the exact same swf
    [12:28:00] Daniel Hjelm: no no 3d
    [12:28:15] Julian Scott: no, using stage3D thogh? starling?
    [12:28:31] Daniel Hjelm: its a program called multi media fusion i am building my swf in
    [12:29:13] Daniel Hjelm: this http://www.clickteam.com/
    [12:29:55] Daniel Hjelm: but you think this drop is normal? 60fps to 8?
    [12:30:02] Daniel Hjelm: i dont even see any ads on that page..
    [12:30:30] Julian Scott: no that's not normal at all
    [12:30:41] Julian Scott: no it'd only drop occasionally with the ads
    [12:31:04] Julian Scott: no idea what's going on there, unless there's some blend mode which isn't set up correctly, so it works on yours and not on ng
    [12:31:27] Daniel Hjelm: hmm.. its the same swf though
    [12:31:28] Julian Scott: what's the clickteam thing for then?
    [12:31:34] Julian Scott: yes, but undefined data can cause that
    [12:31:54] Daniel Hjelm: its a game making software, a bit like gamemaker. i export the swf from this program
    [12:32:15] Julian Scott: right, sounds like you've gotta ask them about it then
    [12:32:34] Daniel Hjelm: Yes, but they say its because of the site, but then it would cause this to other games?
    [12:32:48] Daniel Hjelm: i have not seen any other regular flash games with this problem (worry)
    [12:33:08] Daniel Hjelm: i mean 5 fps would be normal maybe? but from 60 to 8 is insane
    [12:34:33] Daniel Hjelm: maybe this is to much to ask, but is it possible you could make a swf with normal flash i could test like this?
    [12:34:58] Daniel Hjelm: if you dont have time that is ok I can find someone else =P
    [12:35:33] Julian Scott: no there's never any issue like this on NG
    [12:35:35] Julian Scott: they're wrong
    [12:35:47] Julian Scott: as you can see by the fact that the swf behaves differently
    [12:36:01] Julian Scott: i'm talking 1-2fps difference normally!
    [12:36:22] Daniel Hjelm: yes if this was a common problem i woudl assume i could find this in other regular flash games (worry)
    [12:38:43] Julian Scott: really never seen this issue before

Could someone build me a similair "benchmark" example, but in regular flash as3? Then I could upload that and try to see if there is any difference.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleFirefly 3D Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New flash players is optimized with Starge 3D (As mention by Scott).It means that works perfect on GPU base.And you can get high output fps with it..Starling works with this feature:
    http://gamua.com/starling/
    and see this game for Starling performance:
    http://www.whacksite.com/

Unfortunately Fusion Swf exporter can't support Stage 3D yet.Maybe at future although i think its very hard for CT.because it needs to write as first again.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First example is 7 FPS, second is 1 to 2 FPS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast