User Tag List

Thread: Download Object not allowing exe files?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Download Object not allowing exe files?

Hi, i'm trying to create an updater for my game using the download object. Everything else works fine with it, but soon as you try download an .exe file with it, it won't do anything. I've tested it out with other files or renaming the .exe to something like Gamename.file and it seems to work. I assume it's being blocked by Windows, though i've turned off my firewall and antivirus and still have the same issue.

Any ideas?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Kritter, welcome to the forums!

That's odd, I've been able to download .exe's before (for an update utility)... like you say, it could be Windows or your antivirus blocking it. Which Windows OS? What's your antivirus? You could try it on another computer to double-check.

If it's a web server that's under your control, I would suggest changing the file extension to something else (such as .dat) and once your program downloads, change it to .exe and execute as normal.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just tested it downloading a random .exe from another website and it worked just fine so I can only assume it's a restriction of the web hosting i'm using? (which was a free one anyway just to test out exe downloading). I'll test it out on some paid hosting and see if it works, which is fine if so.