User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you use my public pylacewing server?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 56.52%
  • No

7 30.43%
  • Sometimes

3 13.04%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Closing down ledev.org/villy.net/creativity.sx public pylacewing server

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Closing down ledev.org/villy.net/creativity.sx public pylacewing server

Hi,

I am considering closing down my public pylacewing server as I don't use it and it is using a lot of resources on my server.

And I don't get anything back from it, I havent seen any games using as far as I know.

So unless there is a big usage/need in the community for it I will close it until there is a new version of lacewing or pylacewing(pylacewing is quite a cpu hog, probably because people use the server to learn how to make a multiplayer game and use Always -> Send position ect ect).

Please answer the pool if you use it or not, if there is enough interests I will try to keep it going.
    Jean Villy Edberg

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant to start work on commercial project including lacewing so having a public server (or help in setting local one) would be much appreciated.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fanotherpg, +1

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really recommend using public servers because to make any quality multiplayer game you have to make a custom server anyway.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, some of us don't know how to make a custom server. If it involves programming using C++ or some other programming language like that, some of us will not want to make a custom server, since it ruins the point of using MMF2. Also, I've been using ledev.org for testing one of my games that I do plan on releasing soon (Galactic Battle). It is really useful for testing games. There is also the fact that some people have a bandwidth limit, or they don't want to/can't make a server using their own computer since it isn't on 24/7, or because they don't want to risk their computer getting hacked into, and they can't necessarily afford to get a new one just for that purpose.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make custom servers in MMF2. The point is that unless you use a custom server, you cannot prevent cheating.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm well aware of that. I really don't care about that, as it will have a single-player mode anyway, where people will be able to cheat no matter what I do. If people want to cheat and I do add code to prevent cheating in the multi-player mode, then it won't fully stop cheating, since they will still be able to play the game in the single-player mode and cheat there. There is also the fact that, if they are cheating, they could just modify the save file to have the most powerful weapon in the game, or they could edit the RAM to have the most powerful weapon in the game, and then go to the multi-player mode and use the most powerful weapon in the game on level 1. You're allowed to do that normally, but you will usually have to get pretty far in-game to do that. As a result, cheating isn't really that much of a concern to me. If you can point out some good reasons I should be concerned about it even with the issues I've pointed out, then I will consider it, but, until then, I think the system I currently have in place is good enough.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should always let people cheat in singleplayer. You should never let people cheat in Multiplayer - it ruins the fun for legitimate players. Many good games have died because of online cheating - online play is often the only replay value some games have.

But I'm not trying to argue here, just explaining my stance.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason I really use a public server is if I need to test a Lacewing function or idea quickly, without having set up my own server already.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted YES. But I haven't actually started using it yet. Only begun using LW today but would really appreciate having the public server to test later.

But I am having problems even connecting to "localhost:1203" (my forwaded port) even though it works with moogame...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast