User Tag List

Thread: screen tearing

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

screen tearing

is there any method at this point outside of vsync enabled without stretching enabled to actually prevent screen tearing? it's obnoxious that even if i slow a game's framerate down to even 30 fps there's still tearing simply because screen stretching is enabled and is a major hindrance.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Simply because screen stretching is enabled? What?

You get screen tearing because your FPS does not match the refresh rate of your monitor. If your monitor refresh rate is 59 or 60hz and your game is running at 30 fps you are going to have tearing. That is the entire point of V-Sync - to sync the games MAXIMUM frame rate to the refresh rate of your monitor. You as a developer are responsible for making your game maintain that framerate.

Even if your game is running 1 fps slower than your framerate it is possible to have tearing as your game is updating 0.016 seconds slower than your screen is.

I'm running a MMF game right now at 60fps with V-Sync on and Stretching enabled and there is NO tearing no matter how I stretch the window.My monitor is currently set to 60hz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    except that is how it SHOULD work, but it doesn't. if you have screen stretching enabled and the screen get stretched out past the regular resolution then tearing always happens regardless of frame rate with v-sync enabled. like i said, i have dropped the framerate to even just 30 fps and i still get tearing regardless simply because of that option.

if the game is at its standard definition or is in full screen mode with the resolution changed then it looks fine without tearing, but having the window stretched out at all seems to always make it happen.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without vsync enabled, your game will update the display when it is ready to do so, limited using the FPS setting in Fusion. This will not be in synchronisation with your monitor which might aready be half way refreshing the screen when the contents are changed. This can be very noticeable. With Vsync on in Fusion, it should be able to choose when to update the display to try to synchronise with the monitor and so you should not be getting a tear, even if you have screen stretching enabled. It works fine for me.

It would help if you can tell us a little more about your system.

So assuming you have vsync on and you are still seeing screen tearing, here are some suggestions from my experience. Vsync can be disabled in your video card control panel / settings and it will override your games desire to sync so it's worth checking there. Also some low-cost graphics are not very good when you throw a lot of work for them to do, the old integrated graphics are notoriously poor performers, there's not going to be a lot you can do there to improve their performance. It can also just be a case of a dodgy driver, usually you will find regular updates from the manufacturer that don't trickle through Windows update. You might find you have an early version of the driver, worth checking that out too if you are confident enough to update (these days not so much a big deal, but a pain if your install/upgrade goes wrong).

One other factor to consider, is if there is so much going on and it takes too long to update the display each game loop, you could find that despite Fusions best efforts, it would not be possible to create a steady and smooth update but I guess you would notice stuttering and slowdown more than screen tearing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tearing literally only happens if i have stretching enabled and the screen is being stretched. i understand v-sync and i understand how this SHOULD be functioning, but the issue is that it isn't. i've tried it on multiple PCs, i have disabled machine independent speed, dropped the frame rate to barely anything, and regardless of what i do there is always some slight tearing visually with those settings.

v-sync with the default window size causes no issue. v-sync in full screen mode causes no issue. v-sync with a stretched window is the only thing causing it regardless of what frame rate the game is running at and on 3 different machines this has been consistently the result.

my graphics cards settings aren't interfering either, it is set to enable v-sync according to application settings and even if i force it to always be enabled the tearing still happens. i've used monitors with both a 60hz refresh rate and a 120hz refresh rate and both yield the same result. there is no tearing unless those conditions are met with my application settings, and it happens regardless of what frame rate the game is running at so i cannot imagine why this is happening.