User Tag List

Thread: Polygon or pixel collision . which is faster?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Polygon or pixel collision . which is faster?

Hi!

I have a question about platform collision detection performance. Normally I just place backdrop objects as obstacles, which I use for collision detection (I use several detectors attached to a box that I move around using fastloops). However, I started working on a polygon based approach, where I use an editor to store "hit boxes" in an array by clicking and dragging (much like drawing boxes in a drawing program). The array contains the start and end X and Y coordinates for each box, and collision would be handled by looping through the array to see if the coordinates of my detectors overlap with the edges of my stored boxes.

What I am wondering is whether this "polygon based" approach would be better for performance than placing actual backdrop objects to do pixel collision checks. A great advantage with the editor I am making is that it is really quick to click and drag the different collision areas. Also, it's easy to save the "levels" to a file, which makes it possible to load levels into a single frame instead of using the CF editor to create levels in several frames. If it's bad for performance I'll have to solve it differently, though.

If anyone has any inpout on this matter I would be happy

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polygon. Pixel perfect checks all pixels in bounding box. Polygon checks only edges. I would recommend Box2D for complex physics if there is built-in or extension for Box2D support.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply! I really like Box2D, but I find it quite educational to develop own tools as much as I can. Also, the platform game I am working on will be quite simple, so the physics of Box2D would likely be overkill for my project.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    box2d doesnt work correctly in fusion.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit confused about whether the polygon collision code is written in MMF or in an extension? If it is the former then it seems unlikely to me it would be faster; not because the method is worse (it is clearly better) but just because of how slow MMF based code is compared to native code (and the pixel based collision detection is native). Perhaps it would be best to do some benchmarking?