User Tag List

Thread: What screen resolution do you use?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What screen resolution do you use?

I am developing a game for PC and Android and despite everything I do to make the Android port more efficient it just cant run at 60 fps consistently. I have removed all alpha channels, the large images are upscaled, in powers of 2, no fastloops (all for each loops), no alpha blending (all semi transparencies), backdrops are in small pieces, no visible text being always updated, only hidden counters, etc. I have followed all the efficiency guides and tutorials and it slows horribly. Which I attribute to being 1280x720 with very very colorful graphics. So I am looking to downres to maybe 800x480.

My questiom is, what resolutions have ypu used for your Android apps and what results did get?

Ps: any tips for further efficiency is welcome.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the best performance out of using 1024x600 with display mode set to "stretch to fill." This looks and works very well on all devices.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw: Last Year i thought to downres my jump'n'run brewery world for Android to get better Performance. In fact the highres Version Runs faster, because the CPU dont have to scale that much - weird the First Moment, but that was my expierience

(High res: 960x640, lowres 480x320)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My game is using 64mb of RAM according to the debugger. All sound is .ogg. I am really scratching my head on things to do to improve performance.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried changing as many active objects as you can from "Automatic" to "Yes" in the "Inactivate if too far from window" property? It made a big difference in my game. Of course some objects needs to be synched and therefore can't be changed from "Automatic" or "Yes" to "No".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have. The issue is with foreach loops. I have confirmed this by running without them and the frame rate is great.

The way I have it setup is every 75/100 of a second a new active is created and they move from right to left stacking either in the invisible wall or on each other. As a line is cleared they move to the left and more objects are created to fill up to 45 tiles total.

Perhaps I am not using the foreach loops properly. But it is always checking for collisions. And it is in the internal loops.

I know my description is all over the place so here is a screen shot to show the layout.

https://imageshack.us/a/img585/4959/iuad.jpg

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using 240x160 !!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am mainly using 960x640 with all frames 1136x720 or larger, centered and with the fit inside and adjust window size option. Perfect on anything from 16:9 to 4:3 and especially good if your game is also for ios ipad+iphone5+other. Seem to run alright with most games. If i am using a lot of loops and big objects with alpha-channel graphics, i'll reduce the framerate to 30.

piscesdreams: i would calculate what should happen using an array/just comparing values rather than moving around the big objects testing for collisions..

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you haven't already.. I strongly suggest you reduce colours from 16million to 32,000 - and use colour reduction check box in the Android properties.