User Tag List

Thread: Gravity question

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gravity question

I am trying to achieve a platforming style game where the player can walk on the wall, floor, and ceiling of a group of actives. Here is a basic mockup of what I'm looking for

The player would have to stick to each side of the floating platform. I was thinking maybe a "planetary orbit" system would work, but all of the examples use the Phisx Box 2d which I cannot find anywhere. Maybe this can be done using the built in physics engine?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you don't need to use box 2D if your game is going to look like your mockup (eg using square tiles, not a 360 degree surface like a sphere) All it really requires is a basic fastloop platform movement and then you can have 4 different 'modes'.

for the default gravity you'd have your standard x=left/right and y=up/down
    for reverse gravity you'd have the same except the y would be inverted
    for the side ways gravity instead of using y for the gravity you'd use x values as the gravity/jumping and the y values to move along.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea..... You basically script a normal platform code of Y gravity. Then for the other sides of the walls, just invert the gravity values of Y falling to X falling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume this means I would have to code my own platform movement rather than using the built in one? This is planned for an Android game so I don't know how well doing so many loops will run on the hardware.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you wouldn't need too many loops.. pro tip - separate your loops into groups and disable the groups whenever you're not using them. I feel like you could get away with less than 6 loops running at any given time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the crawler example here which seems to be what I am looking for, but I am not sure how to reverse the movement if I am holding down another key. I'm also not too sure how to handle jumps changing gravity.
    Any ideas?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's the crawler example I made for Krim (should be grey blocks on white) then all you need to do is reverse the speed value to be negative to change the direction. I can't tell because I don't have MMF2 anymore. There are a few games using the mechanic you mention (Hempuli's Once in Space is rather good) and such games do not change gravity while jumping. Rather, only walking over a corner changes the gravity direction.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I originally programmed the Box2D platform movement to cope with all the directions of the gravity.
    But I had to remove the code before initial release : 4 direction code X 4 different runtime = 16 chunks of code to maintain, a hell. And we had quite a few bugs in the platform movement at first. But I will re-implement this in a future version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome to hear. Does anybody have a planetary gravity example that uses Box2D? Such as being able to run around on a big circle?