Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter II Fan Game WIP

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Street Fighter II Fan Game WIP

Alright, so apparently when I searched around Youtube, there is a mod of the original arcade CPS version of SFII World Warrior, which enables the unplayable bosses, but it's only in Japanese, and I doubt there will be any English mods of it.

So I have taken it upon myself to re-create the original Arcade SFII World Warrior, but with additional modifications & fixes to the game myself using CT Fusion.
    - CTF Workspace Screen Shot
    - Misc. & in game Screen Shots
    I have given full credit to the company for the franchise, even as to display a WARNING information screen before the game intro.

With the addition of the original unplayable WW bosses being enabled via options, I also wanted to add in the legendary AF joke character Sheng Long, but as a real hidden boss character in this. That is what you see in the Workspace screen shot above, which is the temporary Training Room stage.

No videos yet, but there is little progress. The only things that work are the menus & the player select screens at this point.

I'm trying really hard to see where I can go with this. Unfortunately, I usually have that habit of stopping at mid-point usually because of life outside of development.

So..... Is this something that is okay to post here? Or am I just wasting my time with this type of fan game?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little curious about how you'll handle the AI.

I remember reading somewhere that the way to do good fighting AI was to calculate what the most effective attack would be at all times, then add in a little randomness and delay to make it more realistic (and to give the player a fighting chance).

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, there are many things to consider. I also don't know if I want to add all 4 hit box types as apposed to the original. Not to mention I don't have anything to get the original games hitbox data to display so I can re-create them accurately in this. So unfortunately, I may end up making my own character hit boxes in this. Blue being that can be hit, Red being attack hit boxes, and Green where players should never overlap. The Yellow hitboxes I think only exists in the original SFII, but I don't think it has any effects since SFII'CE as far as I can remember. So I don't know if I want to code those in later.

Some other problems that I come across may be stage fake 3D paralalx scrolling, corner push back from against sides of screen.
    As for AI, I was thinking of random things with higher level be faster attack rates, and lower level be slower attack rates. Though some of the bosses do have some patterns to them. Though that may come in to play when the game is more developed.

There is one more thing that came to mind. I also want to make a move swap option in game which would let you play as your current fighter, but use other fighter moves to add to additional gameplay into the mix. I've seen move swap codes happen in other fighting games, but I want to see it happen with the original SFII. It would be one more other reason to try and finish making this fan game.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! Any progress? It's very interesting

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having trouble getting the stage Floors Parallax to work.

Other than that, I suppose I can make a video of the menus and crap. Though characters can not move yet, everything else works.

But yea, there is definite progress, it's just going very slowly cause I'm running into a lot of issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AI in Street Fighter 2 was ridiculously advanced for its time. I see why Pineapple is curious. Even the Mortal Kombat developers couldn't match it and their game came a few years after.

I'd suggest doing shared screen multiplayer, then perhaps lacewing multiplayer... before trying the AI.

Even then the input delay would be enough to make hardcore players furious... a lot of work has gone into a dead-reckoning style code for Fighting Games, perhaps the best one done so far is called GGPO which has been used in all the recent 2D fighters like Skullgirls and Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition. So it's a potentially long road ahead with both multiplayer or AI.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense, but isn't AI as simple as doing something like this?

- Global Value(#) > 0 (Where (#) is AI, 0 for off, another number for on)
    + Random[500,750]
    = Change Anim Walking + Set Pos X to Pos X [character] + 2

- Global Value(#) > 0
    + Random[250,300]
    + Pos X [p2] >= Pos X [p1]
    = Change Anim Attack 1

Though those are just general ideas of what I was thinking about how AI usually works. I'm sure it's more complicated, since those are for just for movement and animation change.

As for the other stuff, I wasn't planning on trying to make it online play. It would be just local. I've never worked with stuff like lacewing or whatever there is to use in CTF.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing an example, or open source example of a fighting game done in lacewing, or other object to get an idea how it was done, in case I decide later. Though AI and Online play is not really high priority right now. I still have other kind of work to do in this if it's going to be done. Though I wouldn't mind some help if anything. But seeing as I can't get anyone to help with it, I imagine it would be up to me for everything as I figured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AI goals in fighting game
    1) - gain ground on your opponent while blocking their attacks (push the opponent into the corner to maximise damage output, good for characters like Zangief)
    2) - execute specials while the opponent is at a spacing where the reaction time is minimised so the special will not be blocked
    3) - keep the opponent at a distance for long range attacks (good for characters like dahlsim)
    4) - execute counters such as anti-airs, throws to counter specials, normals to counter throws, specials to counter normals
    5) - avoid specials without making the character vulnerable, such as don't jump over a fireball and into a character's anti-air, jump straight up instead
    6) - each defense/offense needs to be tailored to each character, that's 7*7 combinations.

Although regarding 6) you can index each character potential for damage / and risk involved at any given moment in the fight to reduce the work of tailoring each character to each character, creating this index is not exactly easy when you have to consider hit boxes, hurt boxes, and all the specials/throws, jumps, knockdowns and dizzies.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose what I could do when I get around to the AI is study how each character's attacks and special moves are pulled off. For example, I had to do this with the 4 bosses when coding their AI MUGEN. For example, Sagat pulls off Tiger Shot High & Low when far away fro an opponent. While close, seems randomly rotates between pulling a strong elbow attack into a hard punch, or pulling a low kick into a high kick, with each kick doing 2 hits.
    For some like M.Bison (dictator), I noticed he does his scissor kick often, but only because it's apparently labeled as a heavy kick in this game. Also likes to throw if opponent doesn't make a move, or keeps guarding.

As for defining the hitboxes. I don't have any way of getting them displayed from the game. So like I said earlier, they be either guesses, or something. Though I read some Mame emulators have a LUA script for this, but I haven't bothered doing any research on this.

In a way, this mod game would be kind of a mix of both the original WW & CE, but still with original WW mechanics & gameplay. Even with some of the Rainbow CPS hacks, I'm sure it probably screwed with the AI a little bit. Though I noticed that CE Vega's (Claw) AI from the original WW is still used for some reason.

There's also the point where if a game is ported to multiple systems, the AI is slightly different from each port. For example, in the SNES version walking up close to M.Bison every time, he seems to start pulling off Psycho Crusher. Where as in the arcade, you can't walk close to him without him trying to throw you away, or kick you back.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have something revolutionary for you, pm me and i'll send the mfa. It maybe a good point or it maybe be useless. Give it a try! it's a small mfa I was trying to make this test fighting thingy with invisible active pixels coming into play when hitting the opponent. Very simplistic though in it's approach

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast