User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: HTML5 Exporter and Wii U via Nintendo Web Framework

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Francois, if it would only take 3 weeks, I would strongly urge you to give it a go. I am a massive fan of click team products, have been since I was a kid, and I am now using it professionally to start up my own business. They’re great products. Let's for a second not talk about just current user's of Clickteam product's, but think about the Clickteam brand as a whole and potential new customers.

There are likely to be people out there who, when looking at a product such as Fusion, will see what platforms are supported and when they see that you do not support something like Wii U but a competitor does, the chance of you losing that customer will dramatically increase. Since Scirra supports Wii U, there are a lot of customers you might lose soley for that reason.

If Fusion had exporters built in to them for all of the major consoles, your potential to increase your market share will dramatically increase.

Let's talk about Unity. From what I understand, Unity is becoming and has become the game developers tool of choice for creating games for Wii U and I believe also Play Station and X Box as well. Why? 2 reasons - because it's awesome at what it does, and because it supports those platforms. Fusion doesn't even have a chance of being say the 2D game creation software for those platforms at the moment, because it doesn't support them. Imagine if you did. The more platforms you support, the more chance there is that Fusion becomes the go to program for indie developers making 2D games.

Granted Wii U has a comparably small market share compared to the other consoles, but that's the wrong way to look at it (and btw, it has over 3.9 million Wii U’s sold worldwide – while that’s smaller than other platforms, that’s a heck of a lot of people to sell to in reality). We need to start out with the bigger picture in mind - dominating the market in terms of being the game creation tool for 2D games for all platforms. Also, if you achieve that, you are more likely to sell any of the exporters you create.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it really depends on the cost.. if it's going to cost me >$1000 I'd probably be reluctant to buy a WiiU Exporter (at least considering my current projects) if we don't need to worry about huge fees from Nintendo, I'd be very interested.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML5 Exporter and Wii U via Nintendo Web Framework

Hey Francois, if the Nintendo Web Framework will support Fusion-built HTML5 projects (and won't slow down too much due to interpreting the .cca file inside the package) then with a bit of JavaScript we could actually port something ourselves, is this correct?

The WiiU Gamepad object is a great idea, and will help towards that. Reading a Wii Remote and Pro Controller could quite easily be done with the same object, and this could be used in the manual porting I mentioned above.

Sim flare is right though, even if not that many people use it, it'd still be a selling point, people would go "I pick Fusion over GameMaker because it can export to games console(s)", not necessarily with the intent to do so yet, but with the future in mind.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point Dave. If the price point was that high ($1000+), it would make some people hesitant. However, if there were the same costs involved using other developer programs, then I maintain what I said about doing it to grab the market. High costs would make it unfortunately more limited to the more professional users who are already making an income... best avoided if possible. The great thing about Fusion is that, while it may seem like a bit of money for someone who has a low income, it's still very affordable!

And yeah DistantJ, that's exactly what I'm talking about!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About dev kit costs, what you have to remember is that by providing console support, you're inviting in higher end developers too, people starting businesses etc., and like I mentioned, people would see it as a goal - "If I start with Fusion now, in a years time I might be developing for Nintendo consoles!", whilst currently if that's somebody's long term goal they're probably going to skip straight to Unity and not use Fusion as a stepping stone on the way there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm a bit unclear - would the cost for the Wii U Exporter include the dev kit costs, do you think, or be on top of? I was speaking thinking it meant on top of. I'm not even entirely sure what the dev kit is. From what I understand, it used to be an actual machine that you paid for plus a large license fee to develop - not sure how Nintendo handles all of that.

And yes, you're quite right about who it would attract. You could see the iOS and Android Exporters and the exporters for the small indie, and the bigger exporters for the more advanced professional user - if the costs were justified. I'd certainly weigh the costs, because launching a Wii U game would be awesome.

Another interesting thought, I would assume most of the people who want to make games mostly play games on one of the big 3 consoles, and they will be looking for the ability to make games for their favourite consoles. I include myself in that statement. I use the phone exporters because they're the only ones available (and there's a big market), but if there were Nintendo exporters, I'd be there. I would rather make Nintendo games.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i seriously doubt the wii u exporter from clickteam would be anywhere near $1000. It would be more niche than the ios/android exporters so i'd expect it a little more though.

The xbox xna exporter was a similar price to exisiting exporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah that's cool. And it would be understandable if there was a bit of a price difference. It will very possibly attract more serious games developers.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know CT wouldn't charge that much, but take Apple for example, they charge $99 per year to be a developer.. Nintendo has had a policy of charging thousands of dollars / raising the barrier to entry per game because they don't want amateur indie games flooding their marketplace.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually it's only the dev kit you have to afford now, and you can often find ways to loan one.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast