User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HTML5 Exporter and Wii U via Nintendo Web Framework

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML5 Exporter and Wii U via Nintendo Web Framework

So, I don't know if you guys have heard, but our big competitor, Scirra Construct 2, have released a Wii U exporter.

How did a 2-man team put together a Wii U exporter so quickly?

Well. Construct 2 builds to HTML5, and the Wii U now supports HTML5 for indie developers with the Nintendo Web Framework. Nintendo have also lifted restrictions for indie developers using either HTML5 or Unity, meaning if you're using either the Nintendo Web Framework (optionally via Construct 2) or Unity, you don't need a dedicated development office and you can get your hands on a dev kit from them for a low cost.

So, for Scirra, creating a Wii U exporter was very cheap and easy since their software already exported to HTML5. If we have an HTML5 exporter then potentially should this be pretty easy for us too?

So here are some interesting points...

- The Nintendo Web Framework runs on Canvas, not WebGL, which I believe is also the case with Fusion's HTML5 exporter.
    - The Wii U has 2GB of RAM and a decent graphics card, so it should be able to handle our work without too much difficulty, in theory.
    - Although the Wii U hasn't sold well, small independent developers have seen success on the eShop, due to less competition than on rival consoles.
    - Nintendo are confirmed to be continuing support for the Wii U for at least 2-3 more years, so despite the poor sales it's not looking like a Dreamcast situation.

So I'm curious. It's entirely plausible that the HTML5 exporter could be expanded to support the Nintendo Web Framework on the Wii U the same way the Android exporter was expanded for OUYA support (though I reckon CT could sell a Wii U exporter separately, there'd be enough demand to get us on consoles). I know that Fusion outputs a .cca project and the necessary HTML5 to 'interpret' or 'play' that project, rather than pure native HTML5 (which I THINK Construct 2 does, I'm not sure), and I'm not sure if this would create performance issues on Wii U or not, but in theory the Wii U's 2GB of RAM and strong CPU and GPU should be able to handle it, I think?

What do you guys think, do you think this is possible, and would you be interested in it?

I think it'd help Fusion a lot, and stop Construct 2 getting an edge over us. Plus if Fusion exported to a mainstream games console, I think it'd really help generate interest.

I should hopefully be getting my hands on a Wii U dev kit soonish, so I may be able to put this to the test. Since it's direct HTML5, an exported project could probably be opened in the Nintendo Web Framework and rebuilt with a bit of extra code bolted on.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be very interested in this but I'm not sure I'm the right demographic as I've yet to release a commercial game (hoping to release my first this summer). How much have Nintendo lifted restrictions for independent developers and how much is the "low cost" for the development kit? Nintendo was a big part of my childhood and the chance to release a game on the Wii U would be a very exciting prospect.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure the dev kit isn't too much ($1500-3000 im sure i read) and Nintendo even give away free dev kits if they really want your game on the console from what i read.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently there's a new system in place so that indie devs using HTML5 or Unity can loan a dev kit for much cheaper.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wanted my game on a nintendo console so I'd be keen WiiU could still possibly claw it's way to some kind of success in terms of sales.. if it's not too much work (modifying the HTML5 export) I think CT should go for it!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see this happen! As with everyone else, Nintendo was a HUGE influence to me growing up! Bring on the SNES baby! I would love to make Wii U games. I think there's a reasonable chance Nintendo could climb back up, if they could just explain to people what a Wii U is...

Making serious games for a proper gaming device would be sweet Who wouldn't want to have their games alongside Mario & DK?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information on the pricing. Do you know what kind of experience Nintendo want from people looking to develop for their consoles? I got the impression they wanted a fair bit of industry experience (which I can't lay claim to) but perhaps this attitude is changing a bit.

Once I've finished the mobile apps I'm working on I have an idea for a game that could really do with more than just a touchscreen and releasing it on the Wii U would be far more appealing than the Ouya.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That has changed apparently. I was speaking to some guys and they have told me currently there are two devkits - web framework and disk based games and one for Unity. The web framework is $2000 and the unity one is $3000 (that's dollars so british pound should be cheaper).

Still quite a lot of cash but you could do well out of having games on the system.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've opened everything up for indies now, it's all pretty simple now apparently, and there are devs on there with no experience, and there's no obligation to make anything :-)

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, we are considering this. The HTML5 exporter has been released two and a half month ago only. I will first do a Wii-U object that reads the Wii-U gamepad : this way, in the Wii-U browser, you will be able to use it with Fusion games.
    The Wii-U is not very popular, and when I looked at it some time ago, there was a significant financial step to make to be a developer. I want to work on code that people will actually use. Not spend 3 weeks on something that will just be used to put a new label on the frontpage of our site and be used by no-one as it is too expensive.
    So I do not know.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast